News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Removing dried capacitor goo

Started by Sargeguy, February 03, 2014, 01:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I have a leaky capacitor on an early 302.  The base and wires are covered in dried goo which I assume is from the capacitor/condenser.  What is the best way to remove it?  It is also stuck to the ringer pad and condenser sheathing.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

Usually a bit of denatured alcohol can clean off capacitor guts, although I'm thinking of computer motherboards that suffered from capacitor blight and had them removed to be replaced, I'm not sure what effect it would have on the innards of an old telephone... :)

DavePEI

I am thinking that mineral spirits or WD40 would dissolve the tar like deposit. Have you tried that? You may have to place a folded piece of paper towel over it soaked in mineral spirits for a few minutes if it has hardened...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Sargeguy

The denatured alcohol softened it up a bit and allowed me to scrub it off the base.  The wires are another story, there does not seem to be anything that dissolves it to the extent that it can be safely wiped off.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dsk

I have a little hint, but I cant translate it to English >:(
We have a liquid oldfashioned liquid soap called "Grønnsåpe" in Norwegian.
This soap was originally made by boiling fat and lye, and are still sold here. 

A few hours with this should help.

dsk

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dsk

Exactly  :)
By the way the name: Grønnsåpe are made of 2 words grønn (green) & såpe (soap).  Still it is a yellowish oily liquid, or sometimes nearly gel.  PH ~9

dsk

Sargeguy

Let me try my hand at translating without using Google- Original Green Soap, 100% natural plant oil, since 1916, Crystal, Cleans and Shines, for tile and wood floors?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dsk

Ja!
Det ser ut  som om du forstår norsk.

(Yes! Looks like you understands Norwegian)

I have just sent the maker a question about the product, and translation with a copy of the link to this page, time will show how they look at that.) Maybe we get some wise advises???

This oldfashion soap are still used by the older generation to everything, and one of the most strange (or maybe not?) thing I use it for is to bath my feet.   ( In summer when my feet get a thicker hard layer of skin, that may be uncomfortable this soap in water, and just having the feet in for 10 minutes or more it softens up the hard skin and makes it easy to remove)

Back to the thread, this oily alkali soap dissolves tar etc.

dsk

Mr. Bones

QuoteBack to the thread, this oily alkali soap dissolves tar etc.
I don't know if this will help, or not, but for posterity's sake: one of the best things to dissolve/remove tar-like substances is Zippo or Ronson lighter fluid.

I think that they are both largely naptha, which I grew up using to clean printing type and press parts with, so take appropriate safety measures if you use them.

I've also had great success over the years, using them to remove road tar, sap, etc., from cars, and motorcycles.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

dsk

Sargeguy

Quote(Yes! Looks like you understands Norwegian)

Well it's not exactly Ibsen.  I studied a lot of linguistics in college, focusing on the Germanic family of languages.  I had to translate passages from sagas and eddas.  I have not retained much but I can sometimes muddle through labels and menus and such if I know the context. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409