News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Manual GPO 706F!!! Surprise bargain!!

Started by twocvbloke, June 19, 2012, 05:20:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Well, there are still bargains to be had out there, I managed to bag myself a manual GPO 706F for less than a tenner... ;D

(Sorry if anyone here was bidding on it!!! I just really wanted it!!)

I found it a couple of weeks ago, on Buy-it-now for £25, but never got round to buying it, then noticed it was relisted as an auction, so, I've been waiting for it to finish, and now I'm happy... :)

Need to dig out that GPO terminal to RJ11 adaptor I made up now, not sure where that is, and will be very useful with this phone... ;D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190690461403

gpo706

That's very nice, and a nice price always helps!

I have some blanking plates which I could use on a scrapper 706 chassis, so whats the wiring diagram?

I see it has a "PRESS" for exchange/switchboard button on it, if its all good inside try it through your Pana 616 and see if you get a dial tone.

I actually have any "upsidey down" 706 Ivory on the wall with a blanking plate on it, but have never got round to trying a rewire.

BTW I found the dial blanks have slightly smaller opals and dial cards than the usual.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

I think the wiring diagram is N-Diagram number N806:

http://tinyurl.com/bpm9r4c

Not entirely sure if it's right for this phone though.... ???

Still, it's my first 706, don't mind what sort it is, I want to see the differences between the 706 and 746 for myself, can't wait to get it, along with the Panasonic 616 system... ;D

Along with a couple of other things, it does mean I'm wiped out financially for the next month though, which is a bit of a downer, but I'll still have these lovely toys to play with... :D

gpo706

"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

twocvbloke

Yeah, I'm reading the notes in the diagram, and it calls for using a 706F (with dial) to replace a 706CB, but retaining the dial and fitting the blank, so the phone probably started out as a dial-phone, but later was re-appropriated as a CB phone, or something like that... :D

twocvbloke

It's arrived, not packed too well though, with a sprinkling of peanuts and nothing else, so there's a scuff on the case and bezel where there wasn't in the picture above... ::)

Still, the phone works, got it wired up, connected to the BT52A with the RJ11 socket, hooked up to my BT linesman phone and it works beautifully, it even has a carry handle which wasn't a common option (although I have to say it doesn't feel too sturdy as it's plastic!!), the "PRESS" button appears to be an Earth-loop Recall button too, not much use these days unless used on a proper PAX or PBX from the good old days, though I'm sure if I wired it up correctly I could turn it into a Timed-Break recall button (like tapping the hookswitch, but having a dedicated button to do it)... :)

Only issues are there was no spade terminal on the end of the red wire (haven't got any to replace it), and there's no rectifier on the receiver, but I have one of them somewhere... :)

As for converting a parts 706 into a dial-less phone, seems all you have to do is join the pink and orange wires together and insulate the blue and grey wires, and that's that it seems... :)

twocvbloke

Well, I was right to say the carrying handle wasn't too sturdy, it just broke......  :(

Got some superglue on the go to reattach the broken bits, but, ultimately I think I may have to save up fro a metal handle, that plastic is just too thin to be any good, I can see why they integrated the handle into the case on the 746... ::)