News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lot of phone parts won on Ebay!!!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, January 17, 2016, 07:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I have a 1443, but it must have a replacement shell because it does not have the opening in the handle like those.  I read that those handles tended to break, so my phone probably had its original shell broken.

Larry

andre_janew

From the outside, the 1443 tends to look a lot like the 1543.  The 1543, as I understand it, has the better network in it.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: andre_janew on January 18, 2016, 07:25:26 PM
From the outside, the 1443 tends to look a lot like the 1543.  The 1543, as I understand it, has the better network in it.

I don't remember much about the differences, but the 1443 came with the same older style handset as the 1243, and I believe that the network in the 1443 included the ringer capacitor which was moved to the ringer assembly in the 1543.  The 1543 underwent quite a few changes during its tenure.

Larry

Nick in Manitou

Christian,

I have a 1443 that needs a new shell.  Yes, the handle on mine has been broken.

Let me know if the shell turns out to be in one piece and you want to sell it.

Thanks,
Nick

Buzby

I received my box o' stuff from the seller today, so hopefully Christian will be getting his today.

WEBellSystemChristian

Yes, we both got our lots!

It seems like each one in the lot has a few more issues than are disclosed in the pictures...

The Ivory 302 I was looking forward to restoring not only has a crack in the front, but also has an area about 2 inches in diameter completely destroyed on one side. I don't think I will be able to save it. At least the innards, plungers, dial gasket, and lift look to be salvageable...
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WEBellSystemChristian

The AE1As aren't in good shape either. One has a giant chunk missing from the rear, and the other has a piece missing around the edge on one side. The dial blanks are in nice shape, as well as the tags flush with the cradle and possibly the cradle innards.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

The AE Styleline handset is in nice shape, although it's painted Pink over White. Still, the paint is in great shape (except for a couple pinpoint-sized chips in a couple spots.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

The SC is decent, although it has a broken (fixable) lift bar. the cords look original, and the handset cord is underneath a coiled plastic cover. Once taken off, it should look almost new!

Anyone know what the number is on the bottom? Model number?
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

On a good note, the 333A looks restorable. It has deep rust pits, but nothing sandblasting can't fix. The transmitter cup is nickel and looks in good shape. I need a switchhook, but I believe I have a nickel one just like it in my parts pile. Is this old enough to have an OST or 143/144 receiver?

The ringer coils were damaged, and may never ring again.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

A lot of the other phones are destroyed, such as one of the AE40s. The other AE40 is in really nice shape, and has all of the original luster in the Bakelite. Some seem to have been in a fire at one point. A subset dated 1961 has a completely warped cover, and a Design Line red candlestick transmitter face thrown in the box is blackened. The Ivory North 541 has a warped dial plate, athough the handset, cord, and base look intact.
Christian Petterson

andre_janew

They have this new product out called Lazer Bond and it is advertised on TV.  I've never tried it.  However, I keep hoping someone on this forum will try it and give a review of it.  The SC 1444 lift would be something to try it out on.

unbeldi

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 22, 2016, 02:57:54 PM
The SC is decent, although it has a broken (fixable) lift bar. the cords look original, and the handset cord is underneath a coiled plastic cover. Once taken off, it should look almost new!

A 1444 is an extension set, a companion to the 1443.  It shouldn't have an induction coil, and probably also no ringer.  It could be equipped with a dial or without.  The "network" block inside looks nice, but is empty, see below.

The 1444 could also be used with an 1100-series or 1200-series subset, I think.

The 1400 series was the predecessor to the 1500 series.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: andre_janew on January 22, 2016, 05:11:54 PM
They have this new product out called Lazer Bond and it is advertised on TV.  I've never tried it.  However, I keep hoping someone on this forum will try it and give a review of it.  The SC 1444 lift would be something to try it out on.
What I think I'm going to do is try lacquer thinner and bond the plastic together with itself.

Lazer Bond is just a UV-cured glue, I believe. It's probably better than regular glue, but I'm sure there are more professional UV glues out there.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: unbeldi on January 22, 2016, 06:05:06 PM
Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on January 22, 2016, 02:57:54 PM

A 1444 is an extension set, a companion to the 1443.  It shouldn't have an induction coil, and probably also no ringer.  It could be equipped with a dial or without.  The "network" block inside looks nice, but is empty, see below.

The 1444 could also be used with an 1100-series or 1200-series subset, I think.

The 1400 series was the predecessor to the 1500 series.

This phone doesn't feel very heavy, so I bet it's still wired as an extension.
Christian Petterson