News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ericovox 150 / User-/Repairmanuals? / s-Button ?

Started by ma_xyz, March 04, 2018, 03:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ma_xyz

Hi

I recently acquired an Ericovox "Speakerphone". According to what I could find on the Internet the Model/Type is "150".
Indication on the bottom of the Phone: "1/DBE1124/1 A18 7111 Ericsson Made in Sweden"
Some Pictures attached.

My Questions:
- Does anybody posses a user guide he is willing to share (PDF)?
- Or even a repair guide?
- I the "s-button" meant to be a "Silence/Mute"-button? (if so it is not working on mine, but what else could it be?)
- There is a Lamp near the bottom, should it blink when ringing? Or other purpose?

In general the device works, I hooked it up to a PBX line and I can take and place calls.

Leftmost button is the "hook"
Middle button is "V" and apparently changes Volume
Rightmost button "S" ... ?

There is a "Hookflash"-Button (In reality it is an "Earth"-Button ... what is the correct english expression??) below the Dial which also works.

Thx and Br
Michael

AE_Collector

Cool phone! I will rotate that first picture for you though it is going to wind up being the last picture in the sequence.

Where is the speaker? In the lower part at the front?

Terry

ma_xyz

Hi Terry

Thx.

The speaker seems to be built in below the visible circuit board pointing the sound down- and outwards on the front and sides.

dsk

My German is not good enough to understand the description of tha S "taste" but try to look at this one, and pleas explain back:
https://goo.gl/qt9fEQ  (German speaking youtube)

dsk

Edit; found ths auction: https://goo.gl/kU6w8k
and copied this picture.

Translated funktion of the 3 buttons:
Left button: On /off, (in on position a lamp on the lover part of the phone will flash)
Center button: Increased loudspeaker volume
Right button: Mute

ma_xyz

cool! thanks a lot dsk! very interesting info

yes, in the video he also designates this to be the "stumm-taste" which translates roughly to mute button.

and luckily the auction pictures show exactly the most interesting page :-)

which means i have now the challenge to find out why the mute button and the light at the bottom are not working ... i'll report back eventually how it goes

if anybody ever repaired a ericovox any info appreciated

AE_Collector

Quote from: ma_xyz on March 04, 2018, 03:42:26 PM
- I the "s-button" meant to be a "Silence/Mute"-button?
- There is a Lamp near the bottom, should it blink when ringing? Or other purpose?

There is a "Hookflash"-Button (In reality it is an "Earth"-Button ... what is the correct english expression??) below the Dial which also works.

There is quite often a mute button so at a meeting people around the table can use the mute button to have a quick conversation without he distant party being able to hear that discussion.

Hookswitch Flash in N America was to activate features possibly of a PBX in an office system. But many European phones included Earth buttons as I believe that in many European PBX's an outside line was accessed by pushing a ground/Earth button on the extension telephone rather than dialing 9 for an outside line as became the N American standard. I assume the Earth button is the red thing below the dial finger Stop?

Where is the light located on the phone? I see reference to an LED lamp on the wiring diagram and mention of the lamp on the lower front of the phone. But I don't see it.

dsk is located in Norway by the way.

Terry

paul-f

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 05, 2018, 11:57:54 AM
Where is the light located on the phone? I see reference to an LED lamp on the wiring diagram and mention of the lamp on the lower front of the phone. But I don't see it.

On the front view, it is below and to the left of the number card.  It's mounted in the base, not the housing, so is below the grille.

[Edit: added photos. The first two are cropped from photos above. The third is detail from a similar, but slightly different Ericovox set in my collection.]
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

ma_xyz

Quote from: AE_Collector on March 05, 2018, 11:57:54 AM
Hookswitch Flash in N America was to activate features possibly of a PBX in an office system. But many European phones included Earth buttons as I believe that in many European PBX's an outside line was accessed by pushing a ground/Earth button on the extension telephone rather than dialing 9 for an outside line as became the N American standard. I assume the Earth button is the red thing below the dial finger Stop?
Correct, earth button is where you describe it. The earth button works, I connected the Ericovox to a swiss mini PBX from the 50ties/60ties (Autophon Kleinzentrale 1/2; 1 "fxo" 2 "fxs") and after rewiring the Connector (assuming it was wired to not use the earth because its latest use was probably on a line which did not support it) it works as you described to get an outside line. I did not yet have close enough look how the earth button is implemented on this phone. On my other phones with earth button the button is just a simple close switch between the earth-line and the a-line.

Was the "earth"-button a european feature? So never used in US setups?

Quote from: paul-f on March 05, 2018, 12:47:40 PM
[Edit: added photos. The first two are cropped from photos above. The third is detail from a similar, but slightly different Ericovox set in my collection.]
Cool, it would be very interesting to see more pictures of your Ericovox!
Do the "S"-button and the Light work on yours?

Btw am very happy to have joined this Forum and getting that much interesting information and feedback here!

paul-f

Quote from: ma_xyz on March 05, 2018, 01:56:56 PM
Cool, it would be very interesting to see more pictures of your Ericovox!
Do the "S"-button and the Light work on yours?

I actually have accumulated several with slightly different features, with the idea of eventually trying to sort out the differences. That project hasn't made it to the top of the list yet. I have been casually looking for documentation that shows different ordering codes or technical docs.

Things are hectic at home for the next few weeks. If I can find some time, I'll take a few quick snapshots showing some of the cosmetic differences.

In the meantime, here are some photos to view from other forum topics:

Ericovox - rotary
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3312.msg45125#msg45125

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3312.msg125218#msg125218

Ericovox - tone
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3312.msg125204#msg125204

ma_xyz

thanks for the pictures.

looking forward to read about your future "ericovox documentation" project

paul-f

Quote from: ma_xyz on March 06, 2018, 01:11:57 PM
looking forward to read about your future "ericovox documentation" project

I didn't mean to suggest that I had actually found any documentation yet, but would certainly like to find some!

If anyone has any, please post it!

ma_xyz

found some documents and snippets regarding the ericovox:

- LME Ericsson review 1959 #4 - very detailed article with development history: https://www.ericsson.com/assets/local/about-ericsson/ericsson-history/lme-review/documents/da2011-35551-ericsson_review_vol_36_1959.pdf

- A german Book from 1972 with tips regarding Doctors Office Streamlining mentions the Ericovox with a price tag of 1160DM (Deutsche Mark, would be today ~2000US$ including inflation) - "For example, if a call comes while an injection is being given, the staff can use the speakerphone system to transfer the call." :-) - https://books.google.ch/books?id=5irQBgAAQBAJ&lpg=PA280&dq=ericovox%20die%20t%C3%A4gliche%20praxis&pg=PA280#v=onepage&q=ericovox%20die%20t%C3%A4gliche%20praxis&f=false

- Skimming through some old magazines in my fathers attic I found the Ericovox mentioned in the german edition of "Popular Mechanics" from octobre 1960 (The german edition "Populäre Mechanik" apparently only had a short life from 1956 to 1962), it is only a very short snippet, see attached images. It is called wrongly the "EricovEx" :-)

Text in "Populäre Mechanik":
"Telefon ohne Hörer

Wer ein neues schwedisches Telefon sein eigen nennt, kann hören und sprechen, ohne daß er je den Hörer abnehmen muß. Das Mikrofon sitzt im Sockel des Apparats, und die Stimme des Sprechers am anderen Ende kommt aus Schlitzen, die rings um das Gehäuse angeordnet sind. Der Benutzer auf dieser Seite spricht einfach in Richtung zum Telefon hin. Wo normalerweise die Hörergabel wäre, befinden sich Schaltknöpfe. Das von seinen Konstrukteuren »Ericovex« getaufte Gerät ist zur Zeit in Schweden allerdings noch sehr teuer."

"Telephone without a receiver

Anyone who owns a new Swedish telephone can hear and speak without ever having to pick up the receiver. The microphone sits in the base of the apparatus, and the voice of the speaker at the other end comes from slots that are arranged around the case. The user  simply speaks in the direction of the phone. Where normally the receiver fork cradle would be, there are buttons. However, the device baptized by its designers "Ericovex" is still very expensive in Sweden at the moment."

compubit

I think the ,,Receiver Fork" is what we 'muricans call the handset...  ;D

J
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

rdelius