News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two 786 Trimphones

Started by FABphones, April 14, 2019, 04:40:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

I had a couple of 786 TrimPhones to clean up today, both the same model, but different - so whilst they were on the workbench I thought I would show you inside them. The STC phone on the left is dated 1981, and the GNA on the right, 1980.

The Trimphones on the photos below are both 12 button versions, but both phones differ. In order to fit all of the necessary components inside, STC opted to make the body shell taller (phone on left).

Compared against each of the rotary Trimphones I have, even the lower of the two push button versions is taller.

There are other subtle differences between them; the two different (clear and coloured) plunger bars, and their difference in height. The squarer cut out holes for the GNA version buttons, the typeface on the buttons, and the line cords (STC straight/curly, GNA straight).

Timeline:
In 1965, 1000 Trimphones were released on trial into the rental market. The Trimphone was given the engineering code 'Tele No.712'.
1979/1980, Tele No.786 - the MF Trimphone - was launched.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

andy1702

That's very interesting. I knew they made the cases taller for push button trimphones, but I didn't know there were two different variations.

Do these two work? I've had a lot of trouble with push button UK phones from that era. So much so that I now think twice before I buy one.  Give me a good old dial any day. At least i can fix those!  :)
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.