"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What else do you guys collect?

Started by Steve, December 22, 2008, 10:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AET

Sold this one

Sold the one on the left, have the one on the right still.

My Hot-Rod to be

My Daily Driver

Me with my first car back in 07, may she rest in peace. 

Here's me with the motorcycles

This bike was my grandpa's and he gave it to my dad.

My dad's 57 Chevy

Also sold this one

Sold this one, one of my favorites 31 Model A with a 350 Chevy and TH350 trans.
- Tom

Bill Cahill

;D Man! I want that pickup truck!!!!!
Nice collection. Will be beutiful when cars are restored.....
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

BDM

Your dad looks like he could push the house over with little effort :o
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

I started a new thread on this topic because posting after all those great shots of Tom's cars and trucks is a hard act to follow.

I don't collect old bottles but I happened on one back in the summer of 2006.  While snorkeling in a small bay on Lake St Clair (pronounced Saint Clair) north of Detroit I found this old beer bottle.  During weekends this bay is "wall-to-wall" with boats.  It's a big party spot where people anchor in relatively shallow water and socialize.  I like to go on Monday when no one is there and snorkel, finding all kinds of junk from plastic beads, sun glasses and anything those with too much alcohol on board (their bodies) tend to drop.

Connected to the Lake is the shipping channel that runs from Lake Erie all the way up to Lake Superior.  The channel to the south becomes the Detroit River and separates the U.S. and Canada.  The current is strong.

So I find this beer bottle and bring it to the boat. I can tell right way that it's old.  Although things in this bay get covered with silt rather quickly, this bottle is so clean it looks like someone just threw it in yesterday.

In raised letters it reads Detroit Br'g Co.  I don't know how long the Detroit Brewery has been out of business but it's been a long time.  When I got home I searched on-line and found a web site of a collector that specializes in memorabilia from the Detroit Brewing Co.  I sent him an e-mail and he replied that I had quite a find.  He estimated that bottle to have been used pre-prohibition, prior to 1917.  Detroit went into Prohibition 3 years prior to the rest of the US in 1920.  He went on to say that it was more than likely NOT before 1900 but could be from anytime after 1900 up to the Prohibition.

I still can't get over how clean it was for having been on the bottom for 90 years or more when some fisherman may have tossed it in back at the turn of the 20th Century.   I'm not the only person that snorkels there so it hadn't been in the bay long. The strong currents of the shipping channel must have had that bottle rolling around all these years......no moss grows on a rolling stone.

It's not worth much...I saw one with a lot of 6 other various brands of bottles for a buck and a half on eBay.  But I like it.

McHeath

Your first car was my first car, 1960 Chevy 4 door.  My dad used to call it the "Ugly old heifer". 

benhutcherson

Love the cars.

The Countach seems strangely out of place with all of the others. Still a fine looking car, though, and I'll bet it was fun to drive.

AET

That Countach was very cramped haha.  My dad is a big guy, he is a body builder and has been lifting since 1974 or so.  I am actually going to get another 60 Chevy once I restore and sell the 58 Chevy, as I miss the car very much.  I got hit by my Gym teacher in her TrailBlazer and that was the end of that car.  I'm sure I'll be posting more car pics as well since I don't have any of the Corvette yet and we are always buying and selling cars.
- Tom

AET

Yes, this is almost guaranteed before 1900.  This has a top for a Crown bottle cap, instead of a blob top, which would be cork sealed.  The crown bottle cap was invented in 1893.  Even the big names in breweries such as Pabst, didn't use them until 1906.  So, it's safe to say that it's probably from a time around there or until Michigan went into prohibition in 1917.  Lovely bottle, I'll have to post the brewery photos soon!
- Tom

JimH

How about the little bottle I came across at a Flea Market.  A 1964 Christmas decanter from Jim Beam.  Sidney Sheldon saw it and thought it would make a great prop for his new TV show about a genie in a bottle:
Jim H.

HobieSport

Here's a cool Pabst billboard from 1958:

Dennis Markham

In my younger days we called it Pabst Blue Headache...........

AET

An interesting story about why that Pabst sign is special because of its 1958 Vintage.  That was the first year of the red stripe on the label, which symbolized their 10-millionth barrell.  They still use it today, and the label has changed very little in the past 51 years.
- Tom

Dennis Markham

I THINK that Pabst used to be brewed here in Michigan (among other places) in Frankenmuth.  Where Carling's Black Label beer was brewed as well.  I think they're both gone now.

AET

Pabst was brewed all over the place in its heyday, the major ones were Milwaukee, Pabst Georgia, Peoria Heights Ill., Los Angeles, they are now based from San Antonio and Milwaukee proper, with talk of moving offices to Chicago.
- Tom

bingster

I don't collect bottles, but I did once find a couple brown Grolsch bottles with porcelain stoppers in an abandoned house.  I kept 'em because the stoppers are neat.
= DARRIN =