News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GPO Planset - Bellset 44 - A Quiz question...

Started by FABphones, June 06, 2018, 08:48:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

This is my latest project. Not much needs doing to it apart from taking a closer look at that dial.

So, if you would like to join in, this is my question, just for fun:

Before I take the dial out to photograph and reveal the answer do you think -

A) the dial is original to that phone when manufactured, as is, no changes?
B) the fingerplate has been changed?
c) the original/correct dial has been removed completely and replaced with this one?

For info, this is a GPO stamped Bakelite Planset, Bellset 44. All dates match inside and out inc the handset. 1956.

I know the history of this one, it belonged to the seller's Mum who took it (and a couple of the extensions) with her when the GPO office she worked in closed down. This was her work phone. It went home with her, got put into the loft and stayed there until it came to me.

I know which answer I've choosen, and Mr F/ex-BT has choosen too.  ;)

Mods, if this is ok with you, I'll let this one run for a couple of weeks before I reveal the answer... do please join in everyone!

*If you are UK based please join in but please delay adding your answer to this thread until the 18th or 19th June - I'll give you all the answer (with photos) on the 20th!!!

ETA: Amended for question clarification.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

The dial is certainly a later vintage than the rest of the phone, so I would expect that it is a replacement. 

Larry

tubaman

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but as I'm in the UK and know a bit about GPO dials I won't spoil the fun.
;)

FABphones

Quote from: tubaman on June 06, 2018, 09:23:42 AM
I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but as I'm in the UK and know a bit about GPO dials I won't spoil the fun.
;)

Hmm, good point. I will add a proviso - if you are UK based please join in but add your answer to this thread on the 18th or 19th June - I'll give you all the answer (with photos) on the 20th!!!    ;)

twocvbloke

Does it contain emulsified high-fat offal tubes secreted away to hide them from the EuroSausages?  ;D

FABphones

Quote from: twocvbloke on June 06, 2018, 10:01:31 AM
Does it contain emulsified high-fat offal tubes secreted away to hide them from the EuroSausages?  ;D
Ermm...  ::) ;)

andy1702

When you say 'is the dial original' it depends how you define original. Do you mean is it original to the phone from when the phone was manufactured? Or do you mean original from when it was last issued to someone by the GPO? I've seen bakelite phones with stickers underneath that say they were refurbished and reissued in the 1970's. So it might not be as simple as some of the UK people are thinking.  ;)
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

FABphones

Quote from: andy1702 on June 07, 2018, 11:55:39 AM
When you say 'is the dial original' it depends how you define original. Do you mean is it original to the phone from when the phone was manufactured? Or do you mean original from when it was last issued to someone by the GPO?

The question reads, 'do you think':

A) the dial is original to that phone as is.
i.e. not replaced, original. All parts original, as is, no changes - see option b: 'has the fingerplate been changed?'
And isn't option c a changed dial, which is your second query?

Hope that clears things up, but just in case, I've clarified the answers a bit.

*Just need your guess on the 18/19th then Andy.

twocvbloke

FABphones

Only one guess so far, but over 57 views, it must be too tricky!  ;)

HarrySmith

From looking at the one picture I would say original. A picture of the inside might reveal more.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Haf

As I have absolutely no idea about Brittish phones I had to do some quick research. So my thoughts now are basically based on the results of that research. Might be incorrect.
This type of phone with 1956 dates should be equipped with an GPO No 12 dial. Clear plastic indiates more a No 21FA Clear dial, introduced in 1967.
On the other hand, there must be a reason outside the obvious for you to start this quiz. So my guess- original somehow :)

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

andy1702

Quote from: FabPhones on June 07, 2018, 12:53:53 PM
The question reads, 'do you think':

A) the dial is original to that phone as is.
i.e. not replaced, original. All parts original, as is, no changes - see option b: 'has the fingerplate been changed?'
And isn't option c a changed dial, which is your second query?

Hope that clears things up, but just in case, I've clarified the answers a bit.

*Just need your guess on the 18/19th then Andy.

As far as I'm aware these phones were well out of production by 1956, so what you must have got is some kind of 'wiped up' unit that has all matching dates of newly manufactured spares, all put together by coincidence. This may have been done long after 1956!
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

FABphones

Quote from: andy1702 on June 08, 2018, 06:31:27 AM
As far as I'm aware these phones were well out of production by 1956, so what you must have got is some kind of 'wiped up' unit that has all matching dates of newly manufactured spares, all put together by coincidence. This may have been done long after 1956!

Interesting theory, but of course if they were not in production in 1956, the 1956 date wouldn't have been moulded onto the Bakelite Planset - because if they weren't in production they wouldn't have been moulding them.... good fun if you are right though, because if they stopped production flat in 1955 then I have an extremely rare possibly one off moulded in 1956 date stamped Planset 44. Win win!

*Do please pop the link onto this thread about when the production run was terminated. Am familiar with the info on
http://www.britishtelephones.com/gec/plansets.htm
amongst others, and I have the Telephony books, but am always interested to learn more.
I'm a bit of a swot, it's what I do.   :o

twocvbloke

Maybe they continued to make the planset bases for the pyramids to keep a supply of plansets available 'til the N625 finally came along? Considering my Planphone A is a 1962 706 sat atop a '71 (I think) N625, they must have just re-used existing stock to make up the phones as they went... :)