News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 555 Cordboard

Started by bellshapedhead, April 03, 2015, 12:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bellshapedhead

I purchased a WE 555 PBX two days ago. It just about killed us getting it in the house. It's all cleaned up now and looks great. But now comes the fun part - purchasing the accessories!. Is the WE #52 the correct version headset for the 555?  It currently has a WE handset (like on the old 500 phone) with 2-prong plug. I will also be looking for the proper chair. In the 50s would the chair be padded or would it still be just wood? I don't have any aspirations to get it working, but I would like it if I could flip a switch and just get all of the lights to come on. Does that sound doable and would that be a job for an electrician or a telephone person? I would appreciate your comments.

Thanks, Gwen Barnes

Rokumoncat

Hi Gwen,

Why not get it working? From you description of it, your switchboard seems to be rather complete. I am rebuilding one myself that is a "Franken-board" because it started out as only a frame and I had to find all of the parts for it. If you just want the lights to come on, that is easy... just disconnect all of the lamp sockets from the wiring harness and hook them up parallel to a 28 volt power supply. Make sure it has enough current capacity as 60 lamps might be a stout load. They are not LEDs...

There are a lot of folks here and other places that will be more than willing to help you.

Best,

Joe

poplar1

Also, if you have to move it again, there are many parts that can be unplugged and temporarily removed to lighten the load.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.