News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lets see your 5302's guys and gals

Started by Kenny C, November 25, 2010, 03:00:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

Quote from: paul-f on April 21, 2022, 09:54:26 AMOf course, the natural course of phonitis is to start with one example  -- but soon have all three choices.

So, which do you want first?

I started with the F1, as it was the first I ran across. It has been joined by several more sets. Like Harry, my favorite is the GF.

http://www.paul-f.com/we300typ.htm#GF

OF COURSE. Must have one of each!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

MMikeJBenN27

It might be "real" alright, but it is not stock.  That spacer that the dial assembly is in is not Bell.

Mike

poplar1

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on April 21, 2022, 08:48:03 PMIt might be "real" alright, but it is not stock.  That spacer that the dial assembly is in is not Bell.

Mike

Which one are you referring to?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Randbell

Quote from: paul-f on April 21, 2022, 09:54:26 AMOf course, the natural course of phonitis is to start with one example  -- but soon have all three choices. So, which do you want first?

Paul, lol... I discovered how true this is with my collection of 1965-era 10-button phones. They're a bit newer than my favorite vintage WE items, so I told myself I'd get just one. Then I ended up with 3 different color 1500D's and a treasured 10-button Trimline 1220.

paul-f

Quote from: Randbell on April 23, 2022, 07:36:09 PMPaul, lol... I discovered how true this is with my collection of 1965-era 10-button phones. They're a bit newer than my favorite vintage WE items, so I told myself I'd get just one. Then I ended up with 3 different color 1500D's and a treasured 10-button Trimline 1220.
Welcome to the group, Randbell.

I have faith that your collection will continue to grow. BTW, We love photos. Hope to see some of your collection and favorite phones.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: Jester on November 27, 2010, 03:21:44 PMHere's a shot of the light beige 5302 I won from John Huckeby last year.  The base & most of the internal parts are dated 1939 & the plastics, dial & handset elements are 1959.
Kool!

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: guitar1580 on December 30, 2010, 12:02:56 PMHere's my oddball 5302, and this is how I bought it...

This phone has an E handset which is like new...
A first for everything I guess!

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 25, 2010, 04:27:12 PMI didn't think of that. I realy like that one. What is the date on the inside of the case?
Kenny...like most 5302s its a mish mash of dates with a 5m dial. All the screws match the holes, doesn't look to be a force fit. The  guys on the ATCA list said it was a fake. 

D/P...I doubt it was a prototye, with the way 5302s were made inside and outside the Bell System this looks like whatever someone had handy. Still a cool phone...Doug
Now that I bought a manual Stromberg-Carlson 1543, I think that dial blank is from a Stromberg-Carlson phone.  A 3 inch Western Electric dial fits and mounts perfectly in those.  The center portion is a separate part and is removable.

Mike

Don_18

Here are a couple of my 5302's -- thanks to Poplar1 for the F1 handset!  The phone on the right has a GF handset with F and H caps.

MMikeJBenN27

It looks like a Stromberg-Carlson dial blank that is on top of the shell, rather than mounted to a mount inside the phone.  These are in two parts - the inner section, which is removable from the outer section, and the outer larger section.  You can mount a 3 inch dial assembly in it, as has been done. 

Mike

MMikeJBenN27

Wish I could find a color one.  Saw a pink one some years back on E-Bay.  Should have grabbed it.

Mike

RDPipes

I'm probably late to the party but what else is new. Here's my previously owned WE 5302.
Base and most components are dated 1940. Cleaned up real nice I think for the condition it was in.

And I would certainly like to have one of the colored sets also Mike.

MMikeJBenN27

MMikeJBenN27

As you guessed, for long loops, the U1 receiver is better, so the G1 handset.  I once saw an F4 handset on a 5302.  The F4 uses the U1 receiver instead of the HA1.

Mike

MMikeJBenN27

I did see a 5302 last year with an F4 for the first time.

Mike