News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

French "Système Auto-Rural"?

Started by countryman, December 03, 2022, 07:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

I found a picture of this switchboard. The sign says "Board for network local battery or Auto-Rural".
What does Auto-Rural mean? Any idea what the function of the switches would be?

FABphones

This link explains (in French) the history of the introduction of Automatic Exchanges in rural France.
http://jean.godi.free.fr/histoire/r6.htm

Appears to be a small switchboard, small office use (example).

Can't tell from the image if the switches have two or three positions. Used to connect an incoming call to an extension. Looks like it has two extensions. May be used as an internal unit.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

Thanks FABphones. The linked article is very comprehensive. My french is by far not good enough, and neither is Google's translation  8) so I will take some time to digest all that information  ;D
The item is for sale and the seller apparently really has it available (sent more photos on request) but I decided to refrain from buying this time. Circumstances just didn't inspire my confidence with this classified ad.

FABphones

Cannot read the maker plaque on the photo I took but looks like a smaller version of this model which I saw in a junk shop a short while ago (€15).

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=26666

countryman

The board is on its way to me... the seller made an offer I could not resist.

countryman

The item arrived. Mild disappointment: There is no wiring inside. Each and every wire has been unsoldered carefully from the eyelets and was removed, likewise the capacitors and coils, if there were any (?). I SHOULD have asked for an interior view, but then again, a seller might ruin things in the attempt to open an item...
The price was OK though, and I always can make a minibar out of it  ;)
I found a schematic for a very similar CB board here:
http://www.erel.de/INH/40/4052120/index.htm
Ralf's site is a wealth for anyone looking up Central European phones! I wonder if the LB or "auto rural" schematic could be found, or if I should attempt to wire it up for CB. The "line busy" indicator for the office line would miss, but I might be able to get over that.
The switches and indicators should all be there, otherwise.

FABphones

I popped back to the junk shop where I saw the small switchboard, it's still there but now slightly hidden behind other junk. I remembered to take a photo of the manufacturer plaque.

Price is now €25.
Remains unsold.