News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Identify small component

Started by dsk, September 26, 2012, 03:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

My old Fluke meter has just started to behave strange, and the limited lifetime warranty is really limited, so its no good idea to send it to service. (15-20 years old)

Inside I located a strange looking component (capacitor?) Far to small to read the value, but the scanner did it  ;D

What is it (what to order as spare)

dsk

Bill

DSK -

The "9725" looks like a date code.

"1-2 KV" is probably a voltage, but what voltage? Capacitors and diodes have a voltage - but not a voltage range. Perhaps a varistor sort of thing? It looks like it says "Murata", a company that makes a lot of small components, including capacitors.

I don't see any "value" in the usual sense. Is there any more writing on the other side? Colored dots?

Who put the saw kerf in the top?

Given your model number, you should be able to go to the Fluke web site (or others) and find a manual for your meter. Look up the schematic - you should be able to identify the part.

Bill

rdelius

I think the capacator was cut to adjust the value when calibrating the meter

Bill

RDelius -

Aha! That makes sense. I went looking for laser-trimming of resistors (fairly common), found nothing, and went no further.

If this is a cap, its value would most likely have an effect only on the AC portions of the operation. Perhaps a frequency measurement? So we get back to the original question - "the meter has started to behave strange" - so I have to ask Strange in what way? In what operations?

I suppose I would start by drawing a business card through the kerf, perhaps with a drop of isopropyl alcohol, in case there is some crud in there. But I would still go look for a schematic.

Bill

paul

Comparing that shape to a Murata catalog I would have to say that is more likely to be some sort of resonator or filter.

dsk

:D
When i realized the cut was made, and not only a crack, I soldered it back, and I don't know why, but it seems like the meter is working quite accurate now. :)

I think we may do kind of "close the case".

Thank you for all those hints.

dsk

twocvbloke

Quote from: d_s_k on September 27, 2012, 03:34:44 PM
:D
When i realized the cut was made, and not only a crack, I soldered it back, and I don't know why, but it seems like the meter is working quite accurate now. :)

Could have just been a dry solder joint then, those often cause weird issues in some electronics... :)

G-Man

Spark-Gap for over-voltage protection - safety