News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can't break dial tone on 554.

Started by sjparadiso, September 22, 2009, 10:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

SJ, I have been looking at your photo and also tried twice now to get a good clear photo of my own to compare.  So I will describe what I think is a problem and once again try to get a decent photo.

I doubt now that the issue is the cleanliness of your contact(s).

Looking at your second group of photos.  The group of two.  First photo.  Look at your contacts...the flimsy copper-like contacts.

Starting from left to right, looking at your photo:

1:  A short contact, standing alone.

2:  A long Contact pulled forward and touching a short.  This is on the first notch of the green actuator.

3:  Next notch, another long touching a short.  This is where I think there is a problem. There is another short that is making contact with that second group.  This is the 4th short contact from the left.  It should not be touching the second long contact.  It appears to be jammed against the green actuator but should be standing alone.  Look at my photos.  See if you think your is how I think it is.

Dennis Markham

Well Bill, it looks like you posted as I was in the process of posting.  At least we came up with the same diagnosis.  I have spent the last hour or more trying to get a decent photo.  This ought to take care of his issue.

Phonesrfun

Dennis:

Your pictures are better than mine.  I always have a great deal of difficulty taking close-ups with my camera.  My camera is way capable, but it seems that the operator of it (me) leaves a lot to be desired.

So, now he has a second opinion.  What could be better!

-Bill Geurts
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Bill, I didn't notice the interference from the spring.

Those little plastic or fiberboard actuator things are pretty fragile.  I have broken one before.   Jorge actually made one once for a North Electric phone.  I was lucky and had a parts phone for a donor.

My camera is nothing fancy.  It's a Canon Powershot A95.  I have used it a billion times.  It has a macro setting.  I have one of those small tri-pods with bendable legs and it really helps me to get some close-up photos so I don't have to hand hold it.  I put on a pair of strong dime-store glasses so that I can see that the image is properly focused.  Then I enlarge the photo if necessary in my photo program and crop.  Then I resize it.  Now you know why it took me so long to get a decent photo.  I went through the procedure 3 times (3 different "takes") until I got one that was suitable.

I'm still learning my way around Photoshop to put circles and arrows and the like onto the photos.

Phonesrfun

I need to get one of those bendable leg tripods.  My son has one and he likes it too. 

I have Adobe Photoshop, but I haven't got the hang of it just yet. 

For the circles and arrows, I used MS Picture It!, but that is not a very well featured program, and my copy is an old one at that.

-Bill
-Bill G

sjparadiso

Thanks for the GREAT photos.  I can't wait to get home tonight and get my contacts properly aligned!  I'll let you know how it comes out!

sjparadiso

Dennis, Bill, et al -

Well it appears the front part of the lower clear actuator (bottom one) is broken off, hence the reason those from copper contacts are touching when the receiver is off the cradle. So the search begins for one; will even ask a couple of creative folks I know if they could fashion a new one.

If you've any suggestions/websites as to where to find parts, it'd be appreciated.

Steve

Dennis Markham

That's going to be a tough part to replace.  In order to have an extra one that means the donor phone is useless.

I would e-mail Steve Hilsz, proprietor of this site:

http://www.navysalvage.com/

Steve is a collector and dial expert.  He often has many parts.  Shoot him off an e-mail (address is on his site), explain what you need and attach a photo if possible.

Dennis

sjparadiso

Hi Dennis -

A ton of thanks goes out to you for contacting Steve Hilsz for me.  He sent me the needed switch part, now replaced, and the phone works great! 

Again, this web site and those involved with it are good folk!

Steve in Michigan

Dennis Markham

Steve, I didn't contact Steve Hilsz for you.  I just referred you to him.  If someone contacted him on your behalf, it wasn't me.  I'm glad you got it working however!

Dennis

Greg G.

Quote from: sjparadiso on September 23, 2009, 06:41:48 PM
Here are four pictures - hope they help.  I checked the pulse springs and they appear to indeed be opening and closing with each dial pulse.  Thanks again for the help!

I like that dial card.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

sjparadiso

Dennis -  I stand corrected - you did indeed refer Steve to me as opposed to contacting him for me.  Glad to see you were able to find the dial card!

McHeath

Glad you got that phone fixed and up and running.  Funny that it broke eh? 

Phonesrfun

Congratulations!

Like I said, we can get most anything going if you give us time.....

-Bill
-Bill G

bwanna

steve, congrats on getting your 554 back together. hope to continue to hear from you.
donna