News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Michigan Bell Flange Sign - The One That Got Away

Started by Dennis Markham, December 23, 2017, 12:58:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I stopped by a residential Estate sale yesterday arriving about 10 minutes before it opened.  Photos of items for sale were posted on line.  On one shelf in the basement of the home was a Michigan Bell porcelain flange sign.  I do not collect signs but do own one (thanks to help from Sargeguy).  Thought this might be the chance for another.

They let us inside 10 at a time and I didn't make the first cut.  Finally when inside I made a bee-line for the shelf in the basement.  Gone.  I saw a woman standing in the line to pay with the sign tucked under her arm.  I asked her if she would mine me looking at it and asked how much they had asked.  No problem she said...$15.  It was in very nice condition.  FIFTEEN bucks!  I offered her an opportunity to profit before she even paid.  No dice.  After I left and walked back to my car I pulled up along side the woman and her companion to try again.  I offered her many times what she paid.  No, not for sale.  She said she drove quite a ways for that sign.  Better luck next time.

I had sent Fabius a photo of the sign (posted here) for his evaluation.  His reply came after I had attended the sale but he estimated $100 to $150 depending on the day (on eBay).  So that woman got a great deal and for me it was the one that got away.

~Dennis

Pourme

That kind of situation is the major reason I quit going to estate sales. A lot of effort in exchange for a very small chance that you will come home with what you came there for.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service