News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ringer box will it work with todays volatge and how should it be wired?(FIXED!)

Started by Dave Beck, January 28, 2014, 07:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

Normal DC voltage on a phone line is 48 volts DC, which reduces to about 6 or 8 volts under a load when the phone is picked up.

With the phone on the hook, the central office sends an additional 75 volts AC at 20 Hz down the line.  The ringer coils and capacitor work together to operate on that AC voltage at that frequency.

When you answer the phone it loads the line which creates a current flow that the central office senses and knows you have answered the phone and so then it removes the ringing voltage from the line.
-Bill G

G-Man

Similar early Western Electric extension ringers used non-polarized 2uF capacitors. Also, its rated voltage should be at least 200 volts, more than twice the ringing voltage.

No. 43 and No. 127 Type Ringers

QuoteThey are suitable for magneto or local battery service unless equipped with a two microfarad condenser wired in series with the ringer.

G-Man

wds

Did you increase the distance between the coil and the armature?  It looks a little tight, which would prevent the clapper from moving properly.
Dave

Dave Beck

I have adjusted it closer and farther, when I went farther I would do nothing.

Sounds like I need a much larger capacitor.
Dave

wds

I tested that cap on a ringer before I sent it to you and it worked fine.   I can't remember, but it's either a 1 or 1.5 uf, so I have another one on the way!
Dave

Dave Beck

G-Man

Quote from: wds on February 04, 2014, 02:00:34 PM
I tested that cap on a ringer before I sent it to you and it worked fine.   I can't remember, but it's either a 1 or 1.5 uf, so I have another one on the way!

From the catalog entry it is possible that 1uf may not be sufficient and a 2uf cap is required.

Phonesrfun

If you don't have any 2mF's you can always connect two 1 mF caps in parallel to get 2 mF.

-Bill G

Dave Beck

I received the second cap from WDS today, (Thanks so Much!) and I installed it in parallel and gave the ringer a try, it would jingle which ever bell I moved the clapper to but would not go back and forth. the magnet has a little strength to it but not much I can put a small screwdriver to it and feel some pull. I may try and recharge the magnet to see if that would help.

What causes the clapper to rock back and forth? once the plate is pulled toward the coil does that trigger the other coil to pull it to that side? I don't actually understand the operating procedure for the ringer, I know on my other phones like the 302 they have a spring.

poplar1

Quote from: Dave Beck on February 07, 2014, 04:40:00 PM

What causes the clapper to rock back and forth? once the plate is pulled toward the coil does that trigger the other coil to pull it to that side? I don't actually understand the operating procedure for the ringer, I know on my other phones like the 302 they have a spring.

Reread Reply #29; during one half of the AC cycle, the left coil pulls and the right coil pushes; then in the other half of the cycle, the opposite coil pulls.

The biasing spring is to prevent the ringer from tapping the bells when you hang up or dial; a spring isn't wasn't necessary on lines with magnetos (hand generators); that's probably where your ringer was originally used since there was no capacitor.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dave Beck

Well the ringer box is WORKING!!!! After rereading all the post I decided to check and see if I might have one coil wire backward. Sure enough I did, the tiny wires that came out of each coil were very short so I added on a length of wire but I had gotten one backward. Just checked it out and sure enough it rings nice.

Thanks everyone for the help and especially WDS for the caps. I owe you one buddy!

Regards,
Dave Beck

wds

This box was just practice.  Now you need to buy another, and another, and another.........
Dave

Dave Beck

WDS

I don't think you have enough capacitors for me to keep buying ringer boxes....lol

Dave

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dave Beck on February 08, 2014, 03:14:40 PM
Well the ringer box is WORKING!!!! After rereading all the post I decided to check and see if I might have one coil wire backward. Sure enough I did, the tiny wires that came out of each coil were very short so I added on a length of wire but I had gotten one backward. Just checked it out and sure enough it rings nice.

Thanks everyone for the help and especially WDS for the caps. I owe you one buddy!

Regards,
Dave Beck

Excellent news!

-Bill G