"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

looking for American Telecommunications distributor catalogs and literature

Started by RotoTech99, November 14, 2016, 03:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I recently inquired in the technical stuff topic about an American Telecommunications "Circl" telephone I had received, and if there was any information in distributor catalogs and literature about it, please.

With Paul F.'s assistance I got the model numbers for tone and rotary versions, and a few pictures of it, for which I thank him,  and appreciate a lot.

I was able to open the set, and found its wiring very much like other ATC sets that have a network with a hookswitch built into it as part of the network assembly; it's tone dial wires in the same manner as in the character and cradle ATC sets, and employs the same two jumper strap positions as in the others.

I was mistaken about there being three jumper straps in the tone version; it is the rotary version which employs three jumper straps, but I have not found an example set with the integrated network/hookswitch yet to record and correctly identify the jumper strap connections in.

I do know beyond that that the rotary dial configuration using the integrated network is the same as a ATC set using
separate hookswitch and network configurations.

If anyone please, has distributor catalogs or literature on this they could email or attach a copy to a reply, please, I would be most grateful.

Thank you,
Rototech99

Jim Stettler

Ed,
Somewhere packed away I have  color copy of an ATC catalog and a parts list. Mine is a copy from when color copies were $1-2 a sheet. Eventually I will find it (not currently looking). But a catalog does exist and someone made color copies of it for interested phone collectors.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have also seen these phones listed in advertising info from Independent Telco's.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I posted the telco info in a topic with SC swirled "trimline" style phones. It had a sunflower and was from Kansas.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RotoTech99

Dear Jim S.:

Thanks for replying, I have an August 1983 Comdial catalog listing most of the ATC sets they offered, and a few sheets on the Empress and Candlestick sets. Recently, I located the patent document for the Deco-Tel Candlestick; the AA-4100.

Regarding the ATC "Circl" phone I have, Paul F. sent me model numbers and a few photos of it. I learned there was a rotary version of the "Circl" phone as well. (My "Circl" set has the ATC star logo on its ID label, not a "Deco-Tel" label)

I am guessing it probably appeared between 1981 and 1984, as that is when the integrated network "updated" most of the current ATC produced sets at the time.

The two tone dial Snoopy phones I got from you allowed me to make a wiring chart list for the ATC sets with a integrated PC network with the hookswitch mounted to the PC network using the tone dial, and the associated jumpers for that configuration.. What is my current issue is I know there is a rotary dial configuration using the same network assembly, but the wiring for a rotary version employs one or two extra jumper straps to configure the network for rotary dialing.

The network assembly carries all the necessary circuitry for either tone or rotary dial configurations... I had a rotary ATC set with that network, but I didn't get the chance to record its wiring as it was one I was servicing for a customer.

I primarily just need to know where jumper straps go for the rotary dial configuration using the integrated network; The dial and other connections I know as they are the same for a set using the separate hook and network layout.

I recall your topic on swirled trimline color sets also; so I will find it and check it out as well.

In the meantime, if you come across a rotary ATC set; character/cradle, etc with integrated network and rotary dial, write down the jumper strap connections, and let me know, please.

Thank you, RotoTech99