News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 211 Spacesaver w/ #2HB Dial

Started by Craig T, January 28, 2011, 08:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig T

I was heading to an antique shop looking at some patches. I thought the woman had a couple E1 handsets in the basement of the shop that I had seen before, but after checking they were sound powered handsets with a spit cup type piece, no E1. At the bottom of the phone bin was this Spacesaver. I picked it up because I do not have one yet, just to check. I seen the 2HB on the finger stop.

This Spacesaver has the angled neck on it and an L shaped bracket on the bottom.  

Craig T

Here is inside the dial. The dial was a bit slow, I was hoping someone could point me out to a spot or two to give a drop of oil for now. Thanks!

Phoniac

Craig, I would oil it at all gear axle points making sure not to get too sloppy and soak up any oil runs or puddles with a Q-tip. And then giver a whirl.

Wallphone

Nice find Craig especially with that dial. If you have never owned one of these before, the tilt of the dial is adjustable as is the the position of the dial in relation to the hookswitch. Once you take the cover off there will be another screw pointing up into the neck. This screw is on the same axis as the screw is for the cover. Loosen it and lift up on the dial the change the tilt. Lift the dial bracket up to change the rotation. If you take the cover off the back of the dial you will have a better view of what you are doing.

Dennis Markham

Very nice find, Craig.  The dial doesn't look too "gummy".  A drop or two of oil on the axle points really helps.  I like to put a drop on and then without tilting (so the oil doesn't run) I spin the dial.  Then take a fresh Q-tip and absorb the excess oil.  Look on both sides of the dial and put some at each spot the axles poke through. Avoid getting any oil inside the governor.  A drop on the gears won't hurt, but again not enough to have it run or splash off into the governor.  You don't want oil on the "brake shoes" as they rotate inside the governor hub.

Your photo with arrows added.

Craig T

Thanks for the advice everyone, Dennis thank you also for the excellent illustration. I opened the phone and it is dated 1-40 inside.

The dial runs much smoother now. I am just about done with phase one of cleaning it up.

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Craig T

Quote from: JorgeAmely on January 28, 2011, 10:48:23 PM
Craig:

In case you want to go all the way out on that dial:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/WesternElectric5SeriesDialOverhaul#

I cleaned out the interior of the dial body, but I did not have the nerve to dismantle this one Jorge. The line cord was an original straight Beige company cord from 1959, it was 9 ft. long. There are a pair of straight black cords heading back on there.