News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What in the world is this?!

Started by AE40FAN, July 22, 2011, 12:27:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE40FAN

Green AE40 made of wood with gold accents?!  On Ebay now!

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-Antique-GREEN-Wood-TELEPHONE-Auto-Elec-MONOPHONE-/190557646308?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5e1eede4

Sorry, tried to paste a link into here but I must be doing something wrong?

LarryInMichigan

It looks to me like someone painted it with a brush.

Larry

AE40FAN

I can tell It's been painted, but I'd be curious to know what color it is underneath the paint! 

wds

It looks like there are two coats of different shades of green, and another coat of red under the green.  Someone will have fun stripping off all that paint.  The phone is probably black, but maybe the brass parts are worth that high price.
Dave

dencins

Interesting the carry handle is gold tone.  This was either plated or plainted since the carry handle is made from pot metal (die cast zinc) and would normally be a silver color.  Usually AE40 carry handles are painted black or chrome plated.  This suggests the other parts would have the same finish as the handle.

Dennis

wds

I noticed the first bidder retracted his $500 bid. 
Dave

AE40FAN

I thought ONLY the colored AE40's had the gold plated accent pieces?  So it could quite be possible that there is another color other than black beneath all those layers of paint?  Perhaps another orchid?

wds

I was thinking that also, but I notice that the plungers are chrome.  The brass could have been added, or maybe it's just gold paint. 
Dave

Greg G.

Why would they think it's made of wood?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Looks to me to be authentic gold plated trim pieces but it is always hard to tell for sure. And it looks like the handset bands might be a bit loose indicating the caps have shrunk a bit which also indicates the possibility of it being a colored set underneath.

However, the mention of red underneath likely means nothing as it looks like red paint has run along the baseplate.

Black and Colored AE sets were available with chrome or gold plate trim but of course chrome was much more common. SO a black AE 40 could have no trim (only black sets would have no trim at all), chrome trim OR gold trim so it could be an authentic black set with gold plated trim.

Someone is going to have to take the gamble unless they post inside pictures too. I thought I saw this set listed just a week or so ago but with inside pictures that confirmed that it was a black bakelite set but maybe it was a different phone. Same green paint job though.

Terry

wds

The seller just posted pictures of the inside of the caps - green and red.  Still can't tell if the inside is painted green or not.

Maybe this is the phone you saw last week?

http://tinyurl.com/3zac4fr
Dave

wds

Sold!  BIN $200.  Strangest auction. 
Dave

AE_Collector

Quote from: wds on July 22, 2011, 03:49:21 PM
Maybe this is the phone you saw last week?

http://tinyurl.com/3zac4fr

Yes that's the one. After I mentioned it here I remembered that it didn't have metal trim. A matching painted fingerwheel is a good way to weed out imposters.

Terry

AE_Collector

The inside of the handset confirms it is a Jade Green 40...or at LEAST, the handset is. It is either a painted housing to try to match the handset or quite possibly just a bady damaged Jade Green 40. Maybe extreeme heat or sunlight for many years?

The buyer is jfehl1 from California who i am pretty sure has bought other colored AE stuff.

Was probably worth it just for the gold plated trim if notheing else.

Here's a couple of pictures for the future record....

Terry