News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

model 5302 ringer problem

Started by carl, August 02, 2009, 03:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phonesrfun

OK... Here is how it should be connected.

Just know that fabric covered wires from the capacitor and the hookswitch do fade and even change colors a bit over time.

But, here it goes with unfaded colors.  PLEASE refer to the pictures in the earlier post that Bingster pointed us to.

Handset (4-wire version):
Black - To the BK terminal on the dial
Red and one of the whites (Doesn't matter which white) - To "R" on the 101A induction coil
The other White - To the W terminal on the dial

101A Induction Coil:
GN - From the green Hookswitch wire
C - From the Red lead of the 195A Capacitor
R - From the red and one white wire from the handset noted above
L1 - Red conductor in the line wire (deskset wire to the connecting block)
L1 - Also has a slate / red wire that goes to the R terminal on the dial
L1 - Also has the red lead from the ringer
L2/Y - Green conductor in the line wire (deskset wire to the connecting block)
L2/Y - Also has the yellow lead of the 195A Capacitor
L2/Y - Also has a yellow lead from the hookswitch

B1A Ringer:
Red to L1 on the 101 A induction coil (above)
Black to the K terminal on the little square terminal block

Dial:
W - from one of the white handset conductors noted above
BB - From a Brown / Blue hookswitch wire
R - From a Slate / Red jumper wire to L1 mentioned above
BK - From the black handset wire as noted above
BK - Also the black lead from the 195A Capacitor
Y - From a Brown / Yellow hookswitch wire

195A Capacitor:
Red - To terminal C on the 101A coil (above)
Black - To the BK terminal on the dial (above)
Yellow - To L2/Y on the 101A induction coil (above)
Slate - to the K terminal on the little square terminal block

Line cord (the cord that connects the phone to the outside world:
Red - To L1 on the 101A induction coil (above)
Green - To L2/Y on the 101A induction coil (above)
Yellow - To the GRD terminal on the little square terminal block (Nothing else will connect here)

That's about it.  The only trouble you should have is with faded colors on those old fabric covered wires.

Take it slow; print this off; print out the pictures mentioned before;  check off each step as you go.... report back when done.

-Bill

-Bill G

carl

Bill,I'm trying it now and will advise.Carl

carl

Bill,I'm going to leave it for a while,since the results have been somewhat less than satisfactory.Nothing seems to work,but I do
appreciate your help and the time you've taken.I got it back to where it actually does ring,but of course not the greatest.I'll get back
to you on my next go around.Again,thank you very much,Carl NY

carl

Success! After numerous attempts at getting the ringer off its backside and back into action,thanks to Bill,who guided me step by
step,wire by wire over the phone,I'm now able to report that this 5302 rings properly. I was
ready to throw in the condenser and leave it but Bill saved the day and I just wanted to say,again,THANK YOU.
As an aside to this,my wife came home at the end,and I jubilantly told her that "the phone is ringing"!!
really? she said,and went upstairs.HMPHHH. Of course,I've gotten much help in the past from the members here,which is appreciated
immensely.Best,Carl Queens NY

Dennis Markham

Glad to hear that you got your 5302 working properly now Carl.  Bill has really been a big help to many people in the short time he's been on the Forum.  I have learned much since reading his posts.  Thank you Bill for all your help!

carl

This is too much...I acquired another 5302 just this past week,set it up and found that it did not ring.No problem,as I referred to
Bill's expertise on my other one and opened it,saw the connections,did the same for the new one,(which incidentally looks virtually
brand new,since the seller had mentioned it was his mother's nightstand phone for eons),and voila!! It rang perfectly,so Bill,
merci bien! Carl

Phonesrfun

Carl:

Ah, my pleasure.  It always feels good to know I have been able to help!

Happy phoning.
-Bill G

dsk

Nice to see the most is solved.
The first thing who I saw was the great distance between the bells.
The clapper has to travel quite far, this is not like European telephones. The clapper should probably not move more than 5 millimetres, and almost hit the bell. The last tiny distance should be traveled by the spring action in the clapper pin(?)  The spring should be as weak as possible, but strong enough to stop tinkling when other telephones dials. 

dsk