News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stripped WE D1 202 II 31

Started by Doug Rose, April 18, 2020, 02:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I was trashing some phones that I had parted out and I thought were beyond hope. This was badly painted white but I saw no signs of black.

So, I got out the citrix and layered it on while I trashed some other phones. I looked at it, but it was not bubbling off, the citrix turned white. Three paper towels and it was bare metal.

Brasso and fine steel wool and I got this pewter/buffalo nickel color.

It is dated II 31. it is light, most likely aluminium. EIGHTY NINE years old!

Put an F1 with a 500 set curly and a new modular cord. It works!

I had one base cover left, so this will be my last 202...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

I like the finish on that. Have you put a magnet to it.
I have one which I bought to strip down but have never had the heart to do. The inside of yours shows a good indicator of the outer result so I may well take the bottom off mine to see what it looks like in there.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

CJ...magnet does NOT stick, it is very light, not like the heavier ones of the mid to late 30s....Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

Caution: The D1's are not all the same regarding how well they strip.
Doug has gotten some very nice results on some metal sets.

Doug, can you post some of your various results with stripping metal sets. The good and examples of the not as good.
Thanks,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jim Stettler on April 18, 2020, 04:36:12 PM
Caution: The D1's are not all the same regarding how well they strip.
Doug has gotten some very nice results on some metal sets.

Doug, can you post some of your various results with stripping metal sets. The good and examples of the not as good.
Thanks,
Jim
To me, stripping is always the last resort. Paint cannot be saved. As a rule, if there is corrosion visible don't even try. layers of paint can also be time consuming.

In a perfect strip, the paint will bubble up and lift off in sheets in about .5 hours tops. If this does not happen, I stop.

In the past,  I have kept going  and the phone never comes out the way you would like to have it look.

I have done North Galions, Kellogg Red Bars, WE 302s, B1s and D1s with various success. SC 1243s are super tough, I don't even think about them anymore.

You will know right away if you should  continue or call it a day.  The Citrix stripper is mild with gloves, but will still burn you lifting skin off in a few days.

When they come out great you are thrilled. As Jim said caution! Stripping is 50/50 at best. More 30/70 in the bad. There is a lot of disappointment.

My last three have been great, BUT before that I said I would never strip again....Doug
Kidphone

Desert Phone Guy

Doug, that is a nice D-1 Body.  It most likely is aluminum, as the earlier ones were lightweight and made from aluminum.  Yours has the patent dates on the bottom reverse below the wire entrance hole, so that is another indicator of an earlier version.

I was told at some point that as America came closer to war in the late 1930's, the aluminum was redirected from phones to aircraft manufacture.  Bell started using a heavier weight alloy and removed the patent dates from the back base.

Steve

Doug Rose

thanks Steve...I appreciate the insight. I always wondered why they got heavier....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 18, 2020, 06:00:57 PM
To me, stripping is always the last resort. Paint cannot be saved. As a rule, if there is corrosion visible don't even try. layers of paint can also be time consuming.

The only exception to corrosion is the base of the B1. It is either black or dark grey. If it is corroded it will come off with a steel brush on a drill. If the cradle is corroded, is is a lost cause....Doug
Kidphone

oldguy

2 beautiful phones Doug😀😀😷
Gary

Doug Rose

thanks Gary. After I decide a phone cannot be refurbed I part it out and put it in a space that is looked at one more time before trash.

Believe it or not both were in the trash pile, I have learned not to be rash, make a decision and then check it again at a later date.....Doug
Kidphone