News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Don’t eBay on pain meds

Started by Sigmaz, April 14, 2018, 10:16:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sigmaz

Lol, had my wisdom teeth taken out this week.
Evidently during my recovery I bid on a Protel UPMS1200.

I didn't know anything about it until I got an email that I won it.

Oh well, $70 to the door.. I guess that's not too terrible.. after all, I can use it so I forgive me.

Pourme

Now I'm courious....I need to see a screen shot.....I think you could have done worse!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Haf

Sigmaz
I think you did well too. I was considering bidding on that myself.The seller had some other interesting stuff, like Bell coin service manuals and an AE metal subset, but I was outbid on both.

Porme, as you wished a screenshot :)

Haf
Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Pourme

Thanks Haf!

Does this perform the same purpose as the pay phone controller we often read about on the forum?
Benny

Sigmaz

Hah, thanks Haf.

Benny,
This Protel modem is used to program Protel powered phones.

While they can be programmed with non specialized modems. However this one has a proprietary signaling protocol for phone control chassis that can speak it.

But it does have a sharp 90's clamshell case that looks somewhat similar to the case used on the Coinpro and Stan's 3slot controller, so I can understand the confusion.

Pourme

OK...Thanks Sigmaz, I got it now. I was out in the weeds on this one!
Benny

oldguy

I saw that on eBay but didn't know what it was for, so I ignored it. Thanks for the info.
Gary

Protel8000

I had bid on this too. Hopefully you can get it up and running. I'm trying to get ExpressNet working with a regular external serial port modem right now... no luck with establishing a connection yet though.

Sigmaz

Sorry if I snapped it away from you man.. I didn't realize I was even bidding on it until after I won..

ExpressNet can be used with an external modem. I have had plenty of success with my USR V96 external.
But you've got to properly configure the software

I'm not sure what kinds of errors you're experiencing but I have seen them all.
The trick is that you have to be on a real POTS line or connect to the phone to program through a local PBX like a Panasonic or a line simulator.
Most of the issues you'll run into will stem from trying to use any VoIP device or service as the phone line.

Either they have serious latency or use codecs that compress the audio stream and knock out the required fidelity to make the connection.

These phones are not very happy when it comes to latency or noise.

Protel8000

No worries! I was initially under the impression that you had to have a protel modem, so if I can make it work with a regular serial modem then that'll be great.

Unfortunately I am stuck with VoIP right now - CenturyLink's cost for a landline is outrageous. I could probably get Comcast/Xfinity's home phone service on top of my internet, but I'm not sure if that would suffer from the same traditional VoIP issues.

Just for fun, via Google Voice and my Obitalk Adapter w/ modem attached, I dialed into a few BBSes the other night and was surprised that it actually worked over VoIP. But that might be a bit more forgiving than the Protel communications.

I wish line simulators weren't so expensive.