News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western El. 302 Blue - Question?

Started by classicradios, May 14, 2011, 12:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicradios

Yesterday, I saw a W.E. 302 Blue Thermoplastic phone in a booth at an antique mall for $125.  BUT, one of the corners has a piece a little bigger than a quarter broken away (the corner is basically gone).  Also, a few of the pad-type feet are missing.  What would something like this be worth?  Would it be worth buying?  Thanks.

HarrySmith

In my opinion, YES! One just sold for big $$$$ on ebay. Plastic can be repaired and feet can be replaced. If you do not want it, you can buy it for me ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

classicradios

What do you think it would be worth in that shape?

HarrySmith

Without actually seeing the phone, checking components and dates it is impossible to estimate the value of any phone. Also value is dependent on what a collector is willing to pay. The collector who paid outrageous money on ebay recently consistently spends huge amounts on things that are not worth what he pays in my opinion. I would certainly pay the $125.00 they are asking for it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

classicradios

Well, I went and bought it (got it for $90).   Aside from the broken corner (and a few cracks radiating out from the broken corner), the phone is in nice shape.  The handset is solid blue (not painted - I took it apart and checked) and it has the clear dial, etc. and even has a cloth cord.  Anyway, I hope that I did OK with it since I'm more of an antique radio guy than a phone collector.  But, I never saw a blue phone like this before so that's why I bought it! 

HarrySmith

NICE! $90.00 was a great deal! Congrats!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Tom B

Classicradios - Can we see some photos?
Tom

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

classicradios

Thanks, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet!   I'd like to plug it in and test it out, but I don't want to "fry" anything!   Honestly, is this set fairly rare or did they make a decent amount of them.   I have over 200 radios, but only 3 collector phones, so I don't know much about them. 

LarryInMichigan

classicradios,

Blue plastic 302s are very rare and sell for hundreds of dollars.  Please post pictures of it here if you can.

Larry

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Kenny C

Quote from: Dan on May 15, 2011, 09:12:58 AM
great buy, Pictures Please :D

I second that. :)

90 bucks for a blue 302!!! I am amazed :o
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Doug Rose

Quote from: classicradios on May 14, 2011, 02:52:18 PM
Well, I went and bought it (got it for $90).   Aside from the broken corner (and a few cracks radiating out from the broken corner), the phone is in nice shape.  The handset is solid blue (not painted - I took it apart and checked) and it has the clear dial, etc. and even has a cloth cord.  Anyway, I hope that I did OK with it since I'm more of an antique radio guy than a phone collector.  But, I never saw a blue phone like this before so that's why I bought it! 
I showed you mine. I want to see yours!
Kidphone

Greg G.

Quote from: classicradios on May 14, 2011, 10:44:40 PM
I'd like to plug it in and test it out, but I don't want to "fry" anything!   Honestly, is this set fairly rare or did they make a decent amount of them.   I have over 200 radios, but only 3 collector phones, so I don't know much about them. 

Unlike old radios, old phones will not "fry" if something is wrong with them and you plug them in.  Go ahead and hook it up and see if you get a dial tone.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Jester

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 17, 2011, 01:04:53 PM
  I showed you mine. I want to see yours!

I haven't shown mine, but I'd STILL like to see yours!  Wait....OK, now I have.
Stephen