News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New (to me) Frankenphone 554

Started by old_stuff_hound, June 30, 2011, 08:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

old_stuff_hound

So my ebay 554 showed up today. From the photos on the listing it was just what I wanted -- a fully modular (didn't know until later that tangle cords could be repaired) 554 with metal hook. I would have liked a metal fingerwheel but all those parameters together did not seem like a legal combination.

The stamp on the back said 2/78. Ok, fine. But when I opened it up, it's all 1959! The ringer is 11/59, the network is 5/59, the original backplate is 5/59. The dial is 1977, roughly commensurate with the add-on backplate. Could this be a factory refurb? Or just someone's leftover parts?

Either way, I'm quite pleased! I plugged it in and it works as delivered, though the dial might be a tad slow. Now all I have to do is find a 1959 dial and I've got the phone I really wanted! :-) And it polished up nice!

HarrySmith

Nice! Very clean phone. Congrats on a good find.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 30, 2011, 09:16:05 PM
Nice! Very clean phone. Congrats on a good find.

Thanks! I think it offsets the faux 302 that I got off ebay (had a low BIN), not realizing that there was such a thing as a faux 302. But it was cheap, has a real bell, and from across the room looks fine if you don't stare at it too closely (or don't know what you're looking at. The less said, the better.... ;-)

Cheers!

Adam

Very nice!  I especially like the vintage number card with the reverse printed area code you put on it.  Did you make that, or did you get that from some other set?
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: Adam on June 30, 2011, 09:56:47 PM
Very nice!  I especially like the vintage number card with the reverse printed area code you put on it.  Did you make that, or did you get that from some other set?

Just something I made up. It's inspired by some of the ones on the number card archive, but not really a copy of anything. I couldn't find a typewriter font that I liked, though. I used Courier monospaced, but it still looks printed rather than typed. I was counting on the plastic being more scratched up and camouflaging it more.

I don't have the image of it here (did it at work during lunch) but I'll email it to myself and post it here.

Cheers!

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: Brinybay on July 01, 2011, 04:17:42 AM
Most likely a factory refurb.  I have one that's similar:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4798.msg60920#msg60920

Very cool! Thanks for the link.

BTW -- It just occurred to me this thread should be in "Collector's Corner", not here. Can a mod move it for me, please?  Cheers!

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: Adam on June 30, 2011, 09:56:47 PM

Hi Adam,
Here's an example of the dial card. I have it on good authority that this is exactly what they would have looked like if they had ever looked exactly like this.  ;-)

Adam

Like I said, very well done!

P.S.: I thought this thread was moved...
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

old_stuff_hound

Thanks! Feel free to take it & use it if you wish. I did it in OpenOffice Draw. I would imagine that it wouldn't be too bad to import it and alter it as desired. I can send the .odg if you want it...