"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 333B

Started by Sargeguy, August 01, 2011, 10:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I found this on-line for $58 shipped:

The last one of these I was bidding on sold for more than $100 without the mouthpiece.

All it needs is a faceplate, mouthpiece and transmitter guts, all of which I have.  Any suggestions on the transmitter?  A 329?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

I got a 333B from Ebay not too long ago.  Mine was about the same price, and came complete with a 143 receiver.  I figured the parts alone were worth double what I paid for the thing.  Mine had a nice 329w transmitter, and judging from the looks of the phone, that transmitter is original.  The box had some corrosion on it, so I'm in the middle of stripping and painting.  The box also was copper plated - this is the second copper metal box I've come across, and both of them had quite a bit of corrosion.  I wonder if the copper had the opposite effect from what WE had intended - instead of preventing corrosion, maybe the copper caused the corrosion.  
Dave

Sargeguy

My base is copper plated but the cover is not.  Not that much corrosion, looks all original judging from the matching spattered paint on all the parts.  I have a nice 329 that I'm going to put on it.  Is your receiver marked?  Mine is unmarked.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

The cover is copper - haven't gotten to the base yet.  And the receiver was a nice marked 143 - no chips or cracks.  I only bought it for the parts, but instead I'm going to see if I can clean off the rust and make it look nice.  Which means, I'll have to buy another one for the parts............
Dave

Sargeguy

533s are cheap and have the same parts, the going rate seems to be about $30 w/out receiver or mouthpiece.  They make nice subsets and you can sell the extra parts.  Or restore it, and buy another phone for parts.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409