News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bell Telephone employees photo

Started by RAW302, September 12, 2013, 01:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAW302

A bit of Bell history just for fun . . .

Jean, my husband's aunt, worked at Bell Telephone in the Pittsburgh PA area.  This photo is not dated but shows Jean (second from right) with other "operator field clerks" in her group.  The hand printed slogans on the wall read:  "Did you try to make a sale today?" and "They will buy if you will try."  I've also included a photo of her 35 year service necklace from Bell.  Jean retired from Bell in 1984.

Rachel
Rachel

Russ Kirk

That a nice memento of your husband's Aunt Jean.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

jsowers

My guess on the date would be the mid-1960s when the Trimline was introduced. That's what most of the ladies are holding and it was a novel thing when it was introduced. My uncle worked for Southern Bell and his moss green rotary Trimline was the first one I'd ever seen. I thought the disconnect button was a great feature. I think Uncle Don also retired about 1983 or 84.

The lady in the center is holding a silver panel phone and they were also popular in the mid-1960s. The slogans on the wall are from their being trained to market phone products and services to customers. They figured since they had the person on the line, why not try to sell them something to make their life easier (and Ma Bell richer). They also trained the installers to make suggestions to customers to sell new things.
Jonathan

G-Man

She's holding a 750A Panel telephone

There is plenty of documentation for it in the TCI Library

RAW302

Thanks so much for the information on the panel phone.  I had no idea what that contraption was and I am now reading more about it. 

Rachel
Rachel