"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2 line princess phone mystery

Started by princessphone, November 19, 2014, 02:49:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

John,

This year marks the 55th anniversary of the announcement of the Princess phones.

There are a lot of topics on the forum showing photos of found sets and discussing the construction and options.

Also, if you are a TCI member, you'll find acces to the back issues of the journal, Singing Wires, in your Member Area.  There are sveral good articles on the history of the Princess, photos of some of the design models and field trial sets and articles on set evolution, such as the shape and configuration of the base pads and positioning of the mounting cord exit from the set.

We have certainly not found all the interesting things to know about the Princess, and hope you'll share your finds as your collection grows.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

princessphone

to phonesrfun
My last response should have been to you Sir. I had A feeling that a 5 wire line cord might not work. What a bummer, however I'm still hoping to find a 6 wire line cord in red, that is if they (WE) ever produced them. Would you have any leads for them?
Thank you for your interest, John DeJonge   

Phonesrfun

John:

W.E. certainly made a 6 conductor line cord in red, but I have no lead on where to find one, especially an original.  A year or so ago, someone on e-bay had a supply of various colored cords, but I have no idea who that was, or if he is still there.

You might try calling Don Woodbury at oldphoneworks.com and see if he has any leads on such a cord.  Maybe someone else here might have some way of sourcing even a reproduction cord, or even a way to make your own reasonable reproduction.

Sorry not to be of any help.
-Bill G

princessphone

princessphone

Good Morning paul-f. Thanks for the information. I'll start doing some digging. John

unbeldi

This vendor has several red D6 mounting cords in stock:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261405622020

Probably your best shot right now.

Other than that, six-conductor cords (D6) with spade tips in silver satin gray are much easier to find. I bought a small box full of them, about a dozen, a year or two ago. Such cords could be painted red.  Painting cords was quite commonly done by Western Electric too.

unbeldi

I just posted a source in your previous thread.

princessphone

Eureka! Today I found and bought 2 original? red 6 wire WE 6ft line cord. Thanks for helping, John DeJonge

princessphone

To unbeldi, Thanks for the suggestions. John DeJonge

princessphone

To unbeldi: I bought the line cords without realizing that you had found this vender actually before I did. Thank you again. John DeJonge

poplar1

Quote from: princessphone on November 19, 2014, 02:49:01 PM

Some web sites give applications (functions) -as Bell did- to some of their exotic models. Such as:
- message waiting lamp
- exclusion switch
- secretarial exclusion
- signaling
Can someone explain what these functions actually mean and how they were used?

Message Waiting Lamp: typically used with hotel/motel PBX; attendant could activate the lamp to let guest know that someone had left a message

Exclusion Switch: for privacy --  to cut off other extensions during a call by pulling up the left plunger; automatically reset when the phone is hung up

Secretarial Exclusion: ??

Secretarial Service: Transfer all calls to secretary or attendant

Signaling: the 2-line turn key can be momentarily pushed down (spring action) in order to activate buzzer at another location. It's also used to talk to the door speaker on a Home Interphone system

701B Single line without ringer                                                D6AB cord (6-conductor)
701D Single line with Message Waiting Lamp, without ringer      D6
702B, 1702B, 2702B Single Line with ringer                              D5AK cord (5-conductor)
702D  Single line with ringer and message waiting lamp             D5AK                                                                                                                                                   
711B, 1711B, 2711B Two-line without ringer, with exclusion switch D14H or D14L cord (14-conductor)
       Could be wired for
       2-line Pickup, Exclusion on Line 1, and Signaling; --or
       1-line Pickup, Cutoff feature for Extension Station or External Line Ringer
712B, 1712B, 2712B Two-line without ringer, with hold key        D14L
      2-line pickup, Hold on Line 1, and Signaling (FACTORY WIRED);
      1-line pickup, Hold, and Secretarial Service;
      2-line pickup, Exclusion on Line 1, and Signaling; --or--
      1-line pickup, Cutoff Feature for Extension Station or External Line Ringer
713, 1713, 2713

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

paul-f

Secretarial exclusion:  See David's description of Exclusion Switch.  This special case excludes the secretary. 

Used (for example) by executives who had a personal secretary that usually screened their calls.  Whan talking to a client or discussing a confidential topic (such as human resources topics, employee performance, etc.), this kept the secretary from listening in.

Secretarial service routed the incoming line to another extension, so the phone would ring elsewhere.  For example, some large upscale apartment complexes in DC had an on-site answering service.  When leaving your apartment, you could throw the switch from tel line to secretarial.  The phone would then ring at the answering service, where the caller could leave a message.  Some installations used a second standard phone line to an off-site answering service.

http://www.paul-f.com/weSecretarial.html
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

princessphone

To: poplar1 & paul-f,
Thanks for the help in explaining the functions of these "hybrid" princess phones, and specially using small common words to do it. Too often (younger) folks use hi-tech, short forms, acronyms and fancy words, and that really leaves me in the dark.
It was really enlightening to learn that the 2 line switch also can act as a push button contact/switch.
I now also understand that in order for these specialty functions to work, Bell was more than willing to rent you some more extra equipment.