"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interesting strategy

Started by Pourme, February 12, 2018, 07:08:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

I have seen this before, just wondering if it works.

Run the phone a cycle or two at $245 and no one takes the bait.

Seller says "I know, I'll increase the price by 20%!"

Does that work?

https://tinyurl.com/y76kulmd

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

What a concept, he should sell used cars.  :o

Partyline4

Believe it or not, there is a correlation between raising the price and having a better chance of selling. It has never worked for me, personally, but I have heard several times this method works. It doesn't work if your price is too high to begin with

Babybearjs

an AE 50 with brass accents.... Umm... $300 at least..... The basic Black is worth $200!
John

rdelius

Thats Richard Marsh , my old boss.I am sure he knows what he is doing

LarryInMichigan

While you are out buying that AE50, you can pick up this ivory 302 for only $975: www.ebay.com/itm/232663199741 ;)

Larry

AE_Collector

I'm sure glad I don't need an AE50! Shipping of that one is $18 within the US and $71 to Canada. Ouch!

I need to start hauling out 40's and 50's soon if anyone is on the watch for an AE project.

Terry

Doug Rose

Terry....do you have any info on the locking handset apparatus that was on AE40s on ships? I always wanted to get one and shine the brass up. ...thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Partyline4

You can buy 50's all day long for 79.99....Gold trim I guess would boost it up, but that could be trim for any phone, right? Just mixing and matching parts, easy to do with AE since their date codes, if any, are hard to decode as I remember.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 12, 2018, 12:10:05 PM
Terry....do you have any info on the locking handset apparatus that was on AE40s on ships? I always wanted to get one and shine the brass up. ...thanks...Doug

All I know about the ships version of the AE 40 is that there are two versions, one with wire bales that clip the handset in place and the second version that you refer to that have that mega clamp system that ensures the handset isn't going anywhere! That was the Navy phone maybe rather than the wire bale system being for non Navy ships?

You've never owned one of these Doug! Almost seems hard to believe with the number of phones that have gone through your hands. But, I believe you.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: Partyline4 on February 12, 2018, 12:17:56 PM
You can buy 50's all day long for 79.99....Gold trim I guess would boost it up, but that could be trim for any phone, right? Just mixing and matching parts, easy to do with AE since their date codes, if any, are hard to decode as I remember.

The chrome handset bands on average seem to add maybe $40 to a 40 or 50 value. If the 40 is complete with chrome fingerwheel, plungers and carry bar as well as handset bands that increases its value further.

I have usually figured that somewhere around 1/4 of these phones were originally equipped with the chrome but that is just from my observations around here and it likely varys a lot by area and the Telco that was paying for them.

As for dating AE's, significant progress has been made in this area that I need to document better soon.

Read posts from here on:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=17379.msg200483#msg200483

Terry

Doug Rose

Quote from: AE_Collector on February 12, 2018, 12:33:58 PM
All I know about the ships version of the AE 40 is that there are two versions, one with wire bales that clip the handset in place and the second version that you refer to that have that mega clamp system that ensures the handset isn't going anywhere! That was the Navy phone maybe rather than the wire bale system being for non Navy ships?

You've never owned one of these Doug! Almost seems hard to believe with the number of phones that have gone through your hands. But, I believe you.

Terry
I had one along time ago, but the Bakelite was damaged on the phone so I sold it a visitor who's Dad was in the Navy. I was unsure of how they were connected. One of the very few I have sold that I regretted. If you have one for sale, I would be interested.....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Doug Rose

Kidphone

K1WI

I remember  a long time ago , trying to sell an old car I had. I was only asking $500 for it but no one even showed the least bit of interest in it.  I was ready to take it to a junk yard  when my Dad told me "no one wants a $500 car ...it must be junk .. why don't you sell a better $2000 car !" Took his hint , put an for $2000 for the same car.  A week later I sold it for $1500 !!!    YA NEVER KNOW

Andy F
Andy F    K1WI