News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Completed Edison Home Cylinder Player with Cygnet Horn

Started by Bill Cahill, June 14, 2010, 01:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cahill

Here are some words from one of my favorite two min. Edison Cylinders.

"Only a message from home sweet home" By the Edison Qt.

"Twas' in a gay resort one night this letter right went through. When one said to another, Jack, this letter came for you.... It must be from a sweetheart's voice that's run along the crowd. With laughs, and, jests, they gathered round.
Thenk Jack replied at last.....----
It's only a message from home, sweet home. From loved ones down on the farm.
Fond wife, and, mother, sister, and, brother, praying to rob me from harm.
And, baby is listing a prayer tonight, to bless me where'er I roam...
We'll welcome you Jack, if you'd only come back, 'twas the message from home, sweet home.....-----
It's only a message from home, sweet home. From loved ones down on the farm.....
Fond wife, and, mother. Sister, and, brother, praying to rob me from harm....
And, baby has listed a prayer tonight, to bless me where'er I roam....
We'll welcome you Jack, if you'd only come back., 'twas the message from home, sweet home........"

Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Bill Cahill

I am now waiting for a better condition bed plate to arrive for machine. The paint is a little better, and, pin striping more complete.
I also just won an original 45 detgree neck that will be my connector between the reproducer, and, the horn.
When those things, and, re cleanning main spring are finnished, I will call this machine finally finnished.
In the mean time, I'm enjoying playing records on it......
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Bill Cahill

Well, I'm still waiting for my better bedplate. Yesterday I paid for the original 45 deg. elbo  that goes from reproducer to the horn.
I've been enjoying playing records on it.
I'll let you know when bed plate comes. I'll have pics of completed machine....
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

Well, except for repainting horn neck, it's official. it's done!
I received a better condition bed plate for machine today, and,  an original elbow to go between horn and, reproducer. I'll have to do this in several posts, but, here are pics of my finnishing work earlier today.
Bill Cahill   ;D

Bill Cahill

Well, I just did a tone, volume, and, speed test  on 4 of my favorite 4 min. cylinders. My comparison machine was the Amberola 3. Here are the un proffessional, though realistic results.....

Amberola 3
Speed 160 rpm
Volume Loud, clear.
Tone Somewhat sharp treble, deep bass.
Reproducer Rebuilt Diamond A.
Horn INside metal horn

Home
Speed 160 rpm
Volume Loud, clear. Not quite as loud, but, close second.
Tone Nice Treble, fairly deep bass.
Repeoducer Rebuilt H.
Horn No. 10 Cgnet with a rubber connector going to an original 45 degree elbow connecting to reproducer.

Conclusion, While not surprisingly, the Amberola 3 does play slightly better, the Home is very well holding its' own. The sound is fantastic, and, I am very pleased with the sound produced with the cygnet horn.
I can easily see why both the past, and, present populrity of the cynet horn.
I am very pleased with this machine!
I am a very happy camper!!!!!
:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
Bill Cahill

Bill Cahill

And, here are a few more pics.....
Bill Cahill
Notice earliest picture I have of it. I had gotten enough parts for it at the timethat it was together.Period. This was about 12 years ago.....
The last picture shows how it looked about 12 years ago.
One pic shows how it lookded 2 weeks ago in another part of house with the other not as good bed plate.
I found the best one on flea bay.
In my book, it now looks like the machine is only about 5 years old, instead of 105.
I'm really proud of my work, as you guys are proud of yours.

Dennis Markham

Very nice, Bill!  You did a wonderful job of restoring that Edison cylinder player.  You SHOULD be very proud!

Dan

Beautiful.  :o I think quality has sadly been bypassed like this player has when you compare it to MP3 players or todays disposable electronics.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Agreed Dan, but it sure is easier to put an iPod on one's pocket than this Edison cylinder player! :)

Bill Cahill

Personally, I hate Ipods. They are tinny, and, distort.
I'm not impressed.....
Thanks, guys. I'm very touchy when it comes to wanting to do the best job I can...
I've beem restoring Edisons, and, others for about 40 years now. I've made my mistakes.
When I first started getting them filthy, coroded, with black cases, all crazed, I used to get told off by collectors. "You are wrecking this machine! You are ruinning the originality!"

My reply always used to be, "Oh, I'm sorry! I didn't know! You mean this came from the  factory like this???"
What's original about gum, grime, rust, corosion,  and, black oak?
I bet you that If I hadn't told you I refinnished this case you would have complimented me on picking up such a nice original machine...

I believe in picking them up in the rough. Besides not being able to afford the nicer machines, I like the challenge of bringing them back to life from the dead.
And, I'm saving another important piece of American history for future generations to appreciate......
Bill Cahill  ;D

HarrySmith

Hi Bill,
Just came across this ad on CL and immediately thought of you. Nice looking machine with lots of records! He also has an Edison machine but no pictures for that.

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/atq/1815436546.html
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Hi Bill,
Just found these on CL, first time I have seen any come up, thought you might be interested. If you want them and he will not ship I can pick them up for you.

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/atq/1824781823.html ( dead link 03-09-21 )
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Bill Cahill

Is he, are you in Florida?
Thanks.
Bill Cahill
I'm interested. Need more input.

bwanna

Just catching up on my forum reading & was happy to see that you finished the player, bill. she is a beauty! i disagree with those who say you are ruining the originality. in my opinion you have restored the originality. :) very nice work!
donna

Bill Cahill

Thanks. Compliment thankfully accepted....
I worked hard on this one. I do on most of them.. I've made many mistakes over the years. Some major.
But, then, there were no forums on how to properly restore.
I had to learn it on my own the hard way...
This is a great school we live in...
"School of hard knocks 101". Yep. Great learning place.
If we take the opportunities we are offered, we can learn alot...
Bill Cahill   ;D :) ;D