News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

black 5302

Started by Pourme, April 27, 2018, 07:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

I found this 5302 today in a collectibles store. This shows how dates can be all over the place in these transition phones.
Receiver element '59, transmitter 11/54, both cords '60, case'60, base plate and components 9/46. I didn't pull the dial.

No cracks or chips, I paid $15.00, it works perfectly and will clean up beautifully.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

skyrider

Good find, the dial is worth double the price. The thrill of the hunt shared by so many of us. Good luck with your next find.

Bill

Pourme

Thanks Skyrider. I was very lucky this week. My other 5302 I found for $10.00 a while ago. I like the look of these phones. I'd like to find a color one like a couple members have lately!
Benny

Key2871

Nice find, nice price. I remember I went to a yard sale, and got one for $2.00. It also cleaned up nicely.
KEN

Pourme

Quote from: Key2871 on April 27, 2018, 08:54:15 PM
Nice find, nice price. I remember I went to a yard sale, and got one for $2.00. It also cleaned up nicely.

Love them bargains!
Benny

oldguy

Nice phone at a great price. I like the 5302s too. I've noticed that we both like Repurposed phones: 5302s, Imperials & Continentals.
Gary

Key2871

QuoteLove them bargains!
Those bargains are not really around these parts much anymore. But you did well with both of yours.
KEN

Pourme

Quote from: oldguy on April 27, 2018, 11:31:16 PM
Nice phone at a great price. I like the 5302s too. I've noticed that we both like Repurposed phones: 5302s, Imperials & Continentals.

We do don't we, Gary? They are unique phones.  5302's were hobbled together to utilize parts they had on hand as WE was known to do. A transition phone. In the same way, Continentals and Imperials were created in celebration of their 75th anniversary, successfully utilizing what was evidently a huge stockpile of used parts. A brilliant business strategy. In this move they created so many colors and variations, perfect for us collectors! Having had led two "lives", I see them as being unique and therefore interesting.
Benny

Babybearjs

I love my 5302... sure shows how technology changed in the 1950's.... from little to big.... I still love the 300 series, those sloping cases are so art deco! even the 400 series phone are great!
John

rdelius

I do not consider them transitional sets but wise recycling of  good used but out of date looking parts . Rent them out again for 10+ years. Remember ATT had a cradle to grave system  They built it, rented it out-rebuilt it again .They had there own scrapyards With Locomotives it the ATT paint scheme Many of the 5302 sets were made from  the older metal sets which might have been harder to rebuild

Pourme

Quote from: rdelius on April 28, 2018, 10:02:12 PM
I do not consider them transitional sets but wise recycling of  good used but out of date looking parts . Rent them out again for 10+ years. Remember ATT had a cradle to grave system  They built it, rented it out-rebuilt it again .They had there own scrapyards With Locomotives it the ATT paint scheme Many of the 5302 sets were made from  the older metal sets which might have been harder to rebuild

I see your point. I refer to them being transitional in the sense that WE was using up parts and pieces from the past along with parts made for the future (500 case, G handset) until the past parts were used up then on to the future 500 sets. All in all a very solid business decision. 
Benny

jsowers

Quote from: Pourme on April 28, 2018, 08:59:05 AM
In the same way, Continentals and Imperials were created in celebration of their 75th anniversary, successfully utilizing what was evidently a huge stockpile of used parts.

FYI, Western Electric's 75th anniversary was 1944. The Imperial and Continental didn't come along until 1955. So unless they were celebrating for 11 years, I think that association is wrong and just a myth.
Jonathan

Pourme

Quote from: jsowers on April 28, 2018, 10:53:15 PM
FYI, Western Electric's 75th anniversary was 1944. The Imperial and Continental didn't come along until 1955. So unless they were celebrating for 11 years, I think that association is wrong and just a myth.

Well....there you go, I was just caught repeating what I read somewhere. That would Have indeed been a long celebration!
Benny