News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dark Gray Kellogg DK-530

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 31, 2014, 03:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Yes Ben, I do have a Dark Gray W.E. 500 with a damaged bezel.  But I don't want to "rob Peter to pay Paul" so to speak.  I will leave this one as-is.  Hopefully the seller will have made note of my packing instructions and it will arrive safely.  We shall see.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 16, 2015, 07:47:59 PM
Yes Ben, I do have a Dark Gray W.E. 500 with a damaged bezel.  But I don't want to "rob Peter to pay Paul" so to speak.  I will leave this one as-is.  Hopefully the seller will have made note of my packing instructions and it will arrive safely.  We shall see.
I wasn't suggesting permanently installing it on your oxford gray, just putting it on for a few minutes just to see what it would look like. I wonder what an oxford gray would look like with a rural bezel...

BTW, the name's Christian! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Dennis Markham

Sorry Christian, I always confuse you and Ben.  For some reason I always confuse your two user names.  I'd like to blame it on old age but I'm really not that old...really. :)

Here are the other DK500's that I have.  The Pink one was born black and was professionally painted somewhere along the line.  I acquired it from Doug Rose.  The Green one still looks like it did when I took these photos.  Someone decided to pop-rivet a modular plug into the side of it.  Nonetheless it should clean up nicely.  The Ivory and Yellow are both nice examples.  Now I have a Gray one to add to the collection.

WEBellSystemChristian

I should really change my profile picture one of these days, since everyone confuses the two of us!

In some ways, I like the style of the banjo more than the standard 500! It really looks good, especially in color! The open-center fingerwheels make a nice touch too!
Christian Petterson

HarrySmith

Now that you mention it, Christian, I am not seeing your profile picture. I went back and still no picture. Did you remove it?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 16, 2015, 08:31:15 PM
Now that you mention it, Christian, I am not seeing your profile picture. I went back and still no picture. Did you remove it?
No, I never removed it, I see it fine on my end. Worst part is: I don't remember where I have my original picture saved.

Well, it looks like I'll have to replace it with something else. Maybe my two tone and full-color med blue sets! 8)
Christian Petterson

Kenton K

I see his picture just fine.

Ken

RotarDad

Thanks, Dennis for posting pics of the others you own.  Very nice!  The yellow is especially appealing.  Did they make them in all the WE colors?  When was the banjo phased out in favor of the standard 500 shell design?
Paul

LarryInMichigan

I am finally getting around to try to reassemble the oxford gray DK-530, but it is not working.  Is the internal configuration in the P-75335-2 network in this Select-O-Phone different than that for a standard 500?  the network looks the same from the outside and the connections to the line, ringer, hook switch, and dial are the same.

Thank You

Larry

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 14, 2017, 11:30:04 PM
I am finally getting around to try to reassemble the oxford gray DK-530, but it is not working.  Is the internal configuration in the P-75335-2 network in this Select-O-Phone different than that for a standard 500?  the network looks the same from the outside and the connections to the line, ringer, hook switch, and dial are the same.

Thank You

Larry
Not just different but very different.  And the dial is even more than "very different": the pulse contacts are normally open.

LarryInMichigan

I know that the dial is different, but this phone had a standard WE idal in it when I got it.  I guess that I will have to replace the network to make it into a working phone.

Larry

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 15, 2017, 07:14:43 AM
I know that the dial is different, but this phone had a standard WE idal in it when I got it.  I guess that I will have to replace the network to make it into a working phone.

Larry
Odd that it had a standard dial.  How was the dial connected?  The original Kellogg dial would not actually have had NO pulse contacts like 3" dials in 1000-series Select-o-Phone sets.  Instead the off normal contacts were connected in series with the pulse contacts so the circuit was open when the dial was normal.

What about the DC bell and RING PB switch referred to as a volume control knob earlier in this thread?  Were they still in place?

IIRC the original 530 network does not include varistors for transmission regulation but does include an induction coil.  Some 1000-type Select-o-Phone sets used an actual induction coil but some just used a resistor assembly in the same form factor which plugged in in place of the induction coil.

I believe there were complete circuit diagrams for the 530 sets on Mike Neale's site (now embedded in the TCI library) showing internal details of the network.

LarryInMichigan

In the original post in this thread, I mentioned that the WE dial and ringer were not connected when bought the phone, and the corner switch was missing.  I doubt that anyone actually ever had this working as a 500-type phone.  I expect that I will just move the handset, dial, switch, and shell to a spare 1950s WE 500 base to make it all work.  The phone is far from all original anyway, but at least it will look nice and be functional.

Larry

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 15, 2017, 08:41:02 AM
In the original post in this thread, I mentioned that the WE dial and ringer were not connected when bought the phone, and the corner switch was missing.  I doubt that anyone actually ever had this working as a 500-type phone.  I expect that I will just move the handset, dial, switch, and shell to a spare 1950s WE 500 base to make it all work.  The phone is far from all original anyway, but at least it will look nice and be functional.

Larry
Might as well put it on a 510 base so the front left hole is filled with a switch and serves a purpose.  If you could find an ITT-Kellogg 510 that would make it "faux-authentic".  They did make them quite early.

LarryInMichigan

QuoteMight as well put it on a 510 base so the front left hole is filled with a switch and serves a purpose.  If you could find an ITT-Kellogg 510 that would make it "faux-authentic".  They did make them quite early.

If I had one, I would, but I do have a partial soft plastic green 500 with a damaged shell which could be repurposed for this.  The base has the proper holes for mounting the switch.

Larry