News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The year of this phone.

Started by Contempra, September 27, 2013, 02:45:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

hi, its me again...I would like to know the year of this Princess phone please because I don't know and I have no aknowledge about the phones as such but I can repair them because I have skills and abilities and I learn fast..I put 3 pictures :

poplar1

The base is dated 80063= 63rd day in 1980=3 Mars 1980

702BM means it was a modular phone (702B is non-modular Princess).
However, someone has changed a lot of parts since it is now non-modular. Perhaps the sticker tells the name of the company that refurbished it.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

We didn't seem to have nearly as many Modular phones in Canada as the USA did. Not on the west coast of Canada at least. By the time all of the new fangled phones arrived as well as NT's Telco rental sets (Signature, harmony, Solo etc) they were 100% modular but not the traditional phones such as 500, 554, 702 and thee TT versions of them.

Terry (in Vancouver)

Jim Stettler

The phone plungers look like Northern electric. WE have clear plunger. I belive a Northern electric "princess" is called a contessa.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Contempra

Quote from: Contempra on September 27, 2013, 02:45:37 PM
hi, its me again...I would like to know the year of this Princess phone please because I don't know and I have no aknowledge about the phones as such but I can repair them because I have skills and abilities and I learn fast..I put 3 pictures :

its written " this telephone is no longer the property of the Bell Sytem and can be legally sold in Canada, but is not intended for sale in the United Staes

The cord has been changed yes but the phone works very well ;) thank you for the information..

Contempra

Quote from: Jim S. on September 27, 2013, 04:35:56 PM
The phone plungers look like Northern electric. WE have clear plunger. I belive a Northern electric "princess" is called a contessa.
Jim

Hi Jim...One thing is for sure, it is a "Princess" because it is well written... It's written " princess Bell System Property not for sale " and you can go to read my other reply to another member  for the other  sticker ;)...If it was rebuilt, I do not know... However it works fine in my telephone wall jack just like my other phone wall.. It is also written "Western Electric" and this phone (princess) has a socket in which I can put a bulb to illuminate the dial at night but I do not know what voltage or what kind of bulb

poplar1

The lamp is 6-8 Volts AC.

The chassis is definitely WE, not NE. In fact, I don't recall ever seeing "Bell System Not for Sale" on any NE phone.

By 1980, if you wanted to lease a *Contessa* (Princess) phone from Bell Canada, you had to get on a waiting list until someone turned one in. By 1984, they didn't even offer that option.

Some--not many--WE 701s had color matching plungers, but I agree that this is probably a NE housing on a WE base.

EDIT: should have typed "not NE."

G-Man

A photo of the entire area where the legend is stamped would verify the manufacturer since you can see the last portion of "ELECTRIC" All we need is to be able to see the first portion.

poplar1

NE                                     WE
No internal ringer:       701B                                  701B  
With ringer:                702BQ1A                            702B
Modular                            ?                                 702BM

finish of base:                   ?                               Anodized gold or unpainted
1968-1982                        ?                               "Bell System Property"

Reference: 502-710-101CA and observed WE sets

Contempra

Quote from: poplar1 on September 27, 2013, 06:59:43 PM
                                  NE                                     WE
No internal ringer:       701B                                  701B  
With ringer:                702BQ1A                            702B
Modular                            ?                                 702BM

finish of base:                   ?                               Anodized gold or unpainted
1968-1982                        ?                               "Bell System Property"

Reference: 502-710-101CA and observed WE sets

Thank you poplar..

Contempra

Quote from: G-Man on September 27, 2013, 05:50:06 PM
A photo of the entire area where the legend is stamped would verify the manufacturer since you can see the last portion of "ELECTRIC" All we need is to be able to see the first portion.

there is a stamp  where its written something but the stamp by itself is too scratched  to see something sorry :(... I call the old owner and he said that this telephone is original .. Anyway you gave me, you and the other friends a lot of informations. so thank you very much.....

I put 2 pictures.. sorry it is 20h14 PM or 8h14 PM and my web-cam is  beurk ;)

poplar1

These photos confirm that the telephone set mounting (base) was made by Western Electric.

Contempra

Quote from: poplar1 on September 27, 2013, 08:18:09 PM
These photos confirm that the telephone set mounting (base) was made by Western Electric.

Thanks a lot poplar and... excuse me for my English i'm not so good in this language because I speak french..

poplar1

The second photo shows that "Western Electric" was stamped into the metal when the phone was new.

The sticker that has been partially removed gave the FCC required information on ringer equivalence etc.

The large, white sticker was probably added by the refurbisher.

Contempra

Quote from: poplar1 on September 27, 2013, 08:24:03 PM
The second photo shows that "Western Electric" was stamped into the metal when the phone was new.

The sticker that has been partially removed gave the FCC required information on ringer equivalence etc.

The large, white sticker was probably added by the refurbisher.

Probably poplar I don't know but I know that this telephone ring loud and has 2 position for the ringer. I mean SOFT & LOUD and I I have a socket for a bulb but no bulb on it thats why I don't know if this work properly