News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Salvaged 6A Dial Intercom System

Started by TAD2020, June 29, 2013, 07:05:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Ok, I'm not really sure what a tone commander card is, but the 10 is probably the best for a small shoebox ksu.

Ben

poplar1

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 30, 2013, 05:55:49 PM
Ok, I'm not really sure what a tone commander card is, but the 10 is probably the best for a small shoebox ksu.

Ben

They look like this: You should be able to find one for free.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Will that fit? It looks really big compared to the card slot. And the manual for the 1a2 calls for a dial intercom pcb. And I asked a person who said they go for between 25-35 bucks..

Ben

poplar1

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 30, 2013, 06:15:02 PM
Will that fit? It looks really big compared to the card slot. And the manual for the 1a2 calls for a dial intercom pcb. And I asked a person who said they go for between 25-35 bucks..

Ben

The 401A card that Bill mentioned fits in a slot just like the 400 line cards, but then you have to give up a line.

The Tone Commander is mounted *outside* of the shoebox KSU. It uses the same power supply as the KSU but mounts on the wall.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

G-Man

There were a number of manufacturers including Teltone, Melco,  San/Bar, Tone-Commander and others.

Some models respond only to tone, rotary or both. Typically R, T or RT is included in the model number to indicate what type of dial is will respond to.

They are a far cry from the large and klunky 207 dial selective intercom with the added-on receivers for tone dialing as shown in the photos.

The TCI Library has a number of documents for these adjunct intercoms.

Here are  a few links to some eBay auctions:

Teltone Telephone Key 19 Station Tone Intercom Unit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teltone-Telephone-Key-19-Station-Tone-Intercom-Unit-T-19-/300922027515?pt=Phone_Switching_Systems&hash=item461059bdfb

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teltone-Telephone-Key-19-Station-Tone-Intercom-Unit-R-19-/290934099053?pt=Phone_Switching_Systems&hash=item43bd060c6d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Teltone-Telephone-Key-10-Station-Tone-Intercom-Unit-T-10-/300922027516?pt=Phone_Switching_Systems&hash=item461059bdfc

TAD2020

I've taken some more close up photos including all the part numbers. I'll do up list/diagram shortly.

Uploaded all the pics to here: http://s172.photobucket.com/user/tad2020/library/A6

The lower cabinet seems to fare much better, all 5 cards appear nearly perfect except for some minor calcification.

TAD2020

There's a few more relays mounted vertically in rows 3 and 4, don't remember seeing any numbers readily locatable.

ROW 1
   232B KTU
   SIG-2-LK / 223A KTU
   SIG-2-LK / 223A KTU
   SIG-2-LK / 223A KTU

ROW 2
   222A KTU

ROW 3
   BS CC / 224B KTU
   SEL / 207C KTU
   TRNS / 216A KTU
   TRNS / 216A KTU
   TRNS / 216A KTU

ROW 4
   SIG-2-LK / 223A KTU
   SIG-2-LK / 223A KTU
   SIG-2-LK / 223A KTU

ROW 1
   BRDG / 237B KTU
   BRDG / 237B KTU
   BRDG / 237B KTU
   TTADPTR / 247B KTU

CARDS
   IN AMPL & FLT SER Y1
   LIM & BIAS SER 6 Y2
   LOW CHAN CKTS SER 6 Y3
   HIGH CHAN CKTS SER6 Y4
   LINE DETR & LOGIC CKTS SER6 Y5

G-Man

6A Dial Selective Intercom

232B KTU Electrical Flash, Wink, Ring and Time-Out Circuit
223A KTU Station Signaling Circuit 2-Link Operation
224B KTU Busy Signal and Camp-On Control Circuit
207C KTU Selector Circuit (I.C.)
216A KTU Transfer Circuit
237B KTU Bridging Circuit (Conferencing)
247B KTU Touch-Tone Adapter (I.C.)

G-Man

Since it is essentially intact with only a minimal amount of effort to restore any cut wires, the switchers on the TCI list would probably be good candidates to sell it to.

The Touch-Tone adapter also makes it very attractive so it may be worthwhile to put it on eBay. Possibly they may garner more if sold alone than if the entire unit was sold combined.

And since I can lift these units without a great deal of effort I doubt it weighs 200-pounds so shipping should not be a significant factor, though of course someone living close-by would be the most desirable option.

TAD2020

Quote from: G-Man on July 01, 2013, 03:22:43 PM
Since it is essentially intact with only a minimal amount of effort to restore any cut wires, the switchers on the TCI list would probably be good candidates to sell it to.

The Touch-Tone adapter also makes it very attractive so it may be worthwhile to put it on eBay. Possibly they may garner more if sold alone than if the entire unit was sold combined.

And since I can lift these units without a great deal of effort I doubt it weighs 200-pounds so shipping should not be a significant factor, though of course someone living close-by would be the most desirable option.

I check on the TCI list. Thanks.

Yeah, I remember it being a lot heavier that day I took it down, guessing I was just worn out from pulling cable for 9 hours. Still though, its quite bulky and will be over-sized, >60lbs and too long.

TAD2020

Update: May have found a museum in California that wants it.

Babybearjs

great looking system... clean it up and put it back in service! thats what I would do!
John

AE_Collector

I was wondering what happened to this system. I wonder if it was the JKL museum and if they have it now?

Terry