News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Auction 59 - Kellogg Select-O-Phone Variant

Started by Doug Rose, December 09, 2010, 08:48:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have only seen one of these before on ebay. This is just the coolest phone. I'd love to have it, but this should go sky high!

Bingster.....how about this for the Christmas Version of "Guess thast Price!"

Doug

S C O R E B O A R D

$172.77 - Dan
$145.00 - bingster
$200.00 - McHeath
$250.01 - HarrySmith (Winner!)
Sold for $272.99
$347.22 - Dennis Markham
$378.66 - Dewdrop
$400.00 - Tribune
$450.00 - Kidphone
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I have seen at least one of these before.  I vaguely remember that the winning bid was not sky high.  Note that since this is a Select-O-Phone, it wouldl probably not work as a normal phone.  If this one really works, someone must have modified it.  The Select-O-Phone dials pulse closed rather than open.  The ringer is a DC ringer.  I bought a Select-O-Phone red bar, and I had to change the wiring block, the inductor coil, the ringer, and parts of the dial to make it work as a regular phone.  This one has a WE dial.  The original dial was probably replaced,

This phone is sure stylish.  Kellogg designed some really great looking phones.

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry...agreed....most of the Select o phones that I have seen were brown bakelite, working off a select o phone system and were not worth the hassle to make them work. This, on the other hand,  is one outstanding phone....Doug
Kidphone

paul-f

Here are some photos of a similar set with AE dial from a January auction.  I believe it closed at about $357.

The photos are similar. I wonder if it's the same seller -- and how many more are coming!  ???
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

LarryInMichigan

I wonder why the current phone has no push button.  I thought that all Select-O-Phones had those buttons.  I believe that they were pushed to make the phone at the other end of the connection ring.  The brochure that I read described how different ring patterns could used for different people in an office.  I imagine that a ring pattern was created by the way that the button was pushed.

Larry

bingster

Quote from: Kidphone on December 09, 2010, 08:48:22 AMBingster.....how about this for the Christmas Version of "Guess thast Price!"

Ho Ho Ho!  Looks like a good one.  What will the phone bring when the auction is finished?  Get your guesses in by the final day, and you could be the next contest winner!  Unless of course, this one gets canceled, too. ;)
= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

I love this phone, it is just so different....$450.....Doug
Kidphone

gpo706

Its a very distinctive steamlined design, from the side pic it almost looks like 2 separate moulds for the front and back, very reminiscent of the "Mallard" class steam loco's of 1938:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_A4_4468_Mallard
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Dennis Markham

McHeath

Just when you think you've seen them all another great phone comes along!  Never heard of or seen this model before, it's got great lines and lots of visual punch.  Of course I have no idea what it's worth, so I'm guessing:

$200.00

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dewdrop

Debbie

Tribune

I think I'll go in on the high side for this phone - $400.

Very stylish. Why can't the cheap plastic digital c**p on our office desks these days be designed with such attention to form, style and detail!? But I guess that goes for the whole world in general. And yes, I see the Mallard Class A4 locomotive reference there too. The London North Eastern Railway A4 of the late 1930s was very much a design icon. Interesting too that the 1993 album by British band Blur entitled "Modern Life is Rubbish" (cracking album if you like '90s Brit Pop) featured a painting of the Mallard on the cover.

If anyone has the opportunity (living in or holidaying in northern England) to visit the National Railway Museum in York, it is well worth the visit, even if you're not a train nut.
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Doug Rose

Nice call  Harry.....beautiful phone at a discount price. Seller  off_the_hook_60 has been selling some beautiful phones recently.....Doug
Kidphone