News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Getting receiver spacer on handset without removing receiver cap?

Started by Bridie, April 01, 2014, 12:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bridie

Hi there, I've been sidetracked away from restoring my WE D1 202 but am starting to focus on it again.  I was originally going to get it into working order but have decided to just go with making it "pretty" instead.  For now, anyway. My seamless E1 handset is in a bit of a mess.  The receiver spacer had been broken and glued on, so I removed it.  I can get another one no problem, but here's the rub - I can't get the receiver cap off.  The spitcup and spacer came off no problem, so I'm wondering if it's possible to slide the receiver spacer onto the bottom of the handset and fix in place without having to remove the receiver cap?  If not, I'll have to crush the receiver cap to get it off (have tried everything to remove it) and would then need to replace *that* as well, at which point I'd likely be better off getting an entire "new" E1 handset.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Bridget

Bridget

tallguy58

You need a couple of strap wrenches and a blow dryer. There's a a post somewhere in here that describes different methods of dealing with E1 handsets.
Cheers........Bill

Greg G.

Here's the internal link to the thread about servicing E1 handsets:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=27.0

But I'm a little confused, you said it was the receiver cap, but mentioned the spitcup, which is on the transmitter end.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Bridie

Quote from: tallguy58 on April 01, 2014, 01:13:04 PM
You need a couple of strap wrenches and a blow dryer. There's a a post somewhere in here that describes different methods of dealing with E1 handsets.

I think I read everything on here.  I've tried the strap wrench, the blow dryer, soaking, freezing, WD40...I'm not sure I could manage two strap wrenches on my own, though, even if I could find a half-decent pair.  Any recommendations?
Bridget

Bridie

I forgot to add that there may be glue holding on the receiver cap.  The receiver spacer had been cracked and put back on with liberal amounts of glue - and I mean LIBERAL AMOUNTS. So I suspected the receiver cap may possibly be glued on...
Bridget

Bridie

Quote from: Brinybay on April 01, 2014, 01:27:09 PM
Here's the internal link to the thread about servicing E1 handsets:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=27.0

But I'm a little confused, you said it was the receiver cap, but mentioned the spitcup, which is on the transmitter end.

Thanks for the link, I read that when I first joined but haven't checked it for the past couple of months. Will have a look now :)  Sorry about the confusion - it's the receiver cap that is stuck.  What I meant was that since I can get the spitcup off at the transmitter end, would it be possible to slide on a receiver spacer and slip it into place without having to worry about removing the receiver cap.  Just to slide the spacer on the bottom of the handset, slip it into place at the receiver end, and then put the transmitter spitcup back on.  Or would the receiver cap have to come off to put the receiver spacer on?  Sorry, I tend to not explain things clearly.
Bridget

paul-f

Can you post photos to show us what you're trying to describe?
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Bridie

Quote from: paul-f on April 01, 2014, 01:58:12 PM
Can you post photos to show us what you're trying to describe?

Absolutely, I'll post some photos when I get home this evening.
Bridget

HarrySmith

I think I figured out what you are trying to do. I do not have an E handset in front of me to check but it just may work if it will fit by the ends.
I posted a link in the thread about getting the caps off to plumbers strap wrenches made by Sloan. The best in my opinion and some others agree. Cheap too!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Greg G.

By "cap", do you mean just the bakelite part, or the whole receiver assembly?  The metal part that both the bakelite spacer and cap screw onto comes off also (that applies to both the transmitter and receiver end), so you wouldn't need to try to slip the receiver spacer over the opposite end of the handset.  It won't fit anyway, I just tried it.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

The spacers are threaded too, so there is no such thing as "slipping them on".  Just threading them on, but do show what you are asking visually.  I too am confused as the question.
-Bill G

G-Man

Is this the part you are referring to?

G-Man

In the event you are attempting to describe another part I have labeled them in the attached jpeg.

G-Man

If you have successfully removed the entire receiver assembly from the handset handle then you should be able to screw a new spacer onto it and then thread the entire assembly back onto the handle. Of course you may have to clean-out  any threads that were fouled by the glue.

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on April 01, 2014, 07:39:52 PM
If you have successfully removed the entire receiver assembly from the handset handle then you should be able to screw a new spacer onto it and then thread the entire assembly back onto the handle. Of course you may have to clean-out  any threads that were fouled by the glue.

Like a dummy it finally occurred to me to try it with one of my daily driver telephones (a D-76869 mounting) setting within 24-inches from my office computer.

It is in fact the only way to thread the spacer/collar onto the receiver assembly.