News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric Dial

Started by Doug Rose, July 26, 2019, 09:21:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

Is this a 706A receiver with HA1 receiver unit. Can you show inside?

Normally, the 706A takes a cap with the same threads as the receiver cap on an F1-type handset, but the cap has a special hill-and-dale design so that the howler tone from the Central Office can be heard if the subscriber leaves the receiver off hook and in a vertical position.

The later NE 706A receiver had the same cap as an F1 handset. ( I got two NOS in the box around 1973.) Norm Frost of NE (and member of the Toronto-based Telephony Society collectors club) made the decision to stop production of the 706A circa 1974.

The transmitter cap from an F1 hs. will fit on a 143 or 144 receiver. Old antique dealer trick -- for looks only -- what some call a "marriage."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MMikeJBenN27

Never knew that NE had a dial like that.

Mike

Doug Rose

Quote from: poplar1 on May 12, 2022, 08:07:00 PMIs this a 706A receiver with HA1 receiver unit. Can you show inside?

Normally, the 706A takes a cap with the same threads as the receiver cap on an F1-type handset, but the cap has a special hill-and-dale design so that the howler tone from the Central Office can be heard if the subscriber leaves the receiver off hook and in a vertical position.

The later NE 706A receiver had the same cap as an F1 handset. ( I got two NOS in the box around 1973.) Norm Frost of NE (and member of the Toronto-based Telephony Society collectors club) made the decision to stop production of the 706A circa 1974.

The transmitter cap from an F1 hs. will fit on a 143 or 144 receiver. Old antique dealer trick -- for looks only -- what some call a "marriage."
David....I felt the cap was wrong, as it looks like a transmitter cap, BUT a normal WE receiver cap for a 706A gives a couple of spins and seizes badly. It was a (expletive deleted) to get it off....Doug
Kidphone