News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITI Phone

Started by LarryInMichigan, July 01, 2022, 11:16:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Etienne

Countryman is right, a rectifier could be a solution to the popping noises. Cheap, easy to install, and easily removable. If my memory is right, these elements were introduced in Germany with the W48, from the very beginning.
Is really a Japanese dial original to an Indian phone? I thought ITI made their own dials, based on ATM 24C (British AE) dials, which are still produced for candlestick copies. How is your dial attached to the phone?
The more I look at your phone, the more its dial looks awkward to me. The digits are askew!

LarryInMichigan

The dial does have "Made in Japan" molded into the back of the plastic.  The number plate has the ITI logo in black on it like the phone in the ebay listing.  I think that my finger wheel was originally clear, but someone painted it black, so the ITI logo in hidden behind it.  The dial does not resemble the GPO designs at all.  It is held in place by metal tabs on the sides which fit into rubber pieces on the mounting bracket. 

The phone is a curiosity, but I would have been better off without it.

I may give the rectifier idea a try if I plan to use the phone at all.  For the past nine days, I have been having frequent internet service interruptions, so making any phone calls has been tricky.  An AT&T technician finally admitted to me today that other people in my neighborhood have been having the same problems and I am not causing my own problems in my house as they had been telling until now.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Etienne on July 05, 2022, 06:08:47 PMIs that not the same dial? Post #11
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4595

My dial does look quite similar, but it only has the two pulsing spring contacts and no terminal strip.  The two wires are soldered to the contacts.  It may have looked like the one in the post originally before someone messed with it.

Larry

rdelius

That dial mechanism looks similar to a japanese tap dial.parts might interchange