News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New to me 3 slot. What model is this?

Started by bushman, April 17, 2019, 12:37:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushman

I just picked up this one. It is my first Automatic Electric 3 slot.
Can someone tell me what model this is?

Thanks,
Bushman

Key2871

Don't remember what model, but it's a post pay. So you won't be able to dial out unless you deposit a coin.
I had one, but I have not seen an AE with the read sign above the dial. I know Western did that but I don't recall AE doing it.
It's missing the pull bucket for the coin return.
Do you have the keys?
KEN

HarrySmith

The AE payphones all have a plaque on top with the model number & info.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

bushman

I already looked under the read first sign and there was no Automatic Electric plaque under it. It came with no keys, coin box lid, and change return door. I was able to get it open without damaging anything. I can get the upper key and I hope I can get the lower lock rekeyed. I tried plugging it in. The phone is in off hook and there is a quiet dial tone. I dial a number, it rings, I put coins in it and the receiver gets louder. That was as far as I got last night.

Bushman

rdelius

This started out as a pre-Northlake move so coin vault would be after 1948 when AE bought Grey and 1957?when AE left Chicago.The insides are an  aftermarket retrofit by Teletronics from the 70s.It is the equivelant of a
LPC-86 series set.It is working properly. Dial tone will be weak and no transmitter unless coins are deposited. In the old days the telephone needed no coins to call the operator but you had to deposit coins when the called party answered.The line would reverse poliaraty to cause the muting relay to work.Remember coins will be needed to answer and also will needed to talk to the party you call after you dial.
if you want free calls, just reverse the line cord,
The chrome plating is most later then the telephone

bushman

Thanks for the info. There is a sticker on the back from Ash electric dated 1974. I assumed that was the last time it was refurbished. The only problem I noticed is when you plug it in it is off hook. I am assuming it will be a problem with the hook switch contacts.

Bushman

rdelius

I agree about the hook switch. Look at the other paystation post to see what the switch should look like.

bushman

Ok, Fixed the problem. It wasn't the hook switch. I found the black and yellow pair from the wall line were hooked up inside the phone. The black was on g and the yellow was on r1. Knowing that I don't use that second pair in my house I decided to unhook them. Problem fixed!!  The wife has claimed this one for in the house. She insists that it must ring. From what I have been reading, I can wire a bell to this teltronics board. Is that correct? If so I should be able to fit something in there.

Thanks,
Bushman