News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Has anyone tried an unlocked HTX701?

Started by kb3pxr, June 05, 2017, 03:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb3pxr

I've been reading the documentation on the current production HTX701 ATA (and it's related models 702 for 2 line 704 for 4 line). It seems to have two settings of interest to us on the forum here. A lot of what I read on here states that this does not support pulse dialing, but has tried an unlocked version and turn on the Enable Pulse Dialing option?

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: kb3pxr on June 05, 2017, 03:01:20 PM
I've been reading the documentation on the current production HTX701 ATA (and it's related models 702 for 2 line 704 for 4 line). It seems to have two settings of interest to us on the forum here. A lot of what I read on here states that this does not support pulse dialing, but has tried an unlocked version and turn on the Enable Pulse Dialing option?
I've been told by someone quite well versed with these that some units require updating the firmware to support pulse dialing.

compubit

Sorry for the delay in responding.

If it's a factory unlocked, I understand that the latest firmware is supposed to support pulse dialing. 

I have a couple (okay lots) of the HT701 models from BasicTalk from when Walmart was clearing them out for $1. There's a process - if the unit has never been connected to the internet - to be able to flash the Device with factory firmware, unlocking it.  The only thing I've run into with these is that the latest firmware seems to brick the BasicTalk devices - I've gotten them to the next to latest with no issues, but the latest does something that does not permit the devices to connect...

It's been a few months, so it may have been resolved, but I'm staying with what works for now.

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

Jack Ryan

Are you talking about the Grandstream HT701? I don't know what an HTX701 is.

The Grandstream HT701 does not support pulse dialling. Apparently there was an update to support pulse dialling but it never worked properly.

The HT502 usually supports pulse dialling. I say "usually" because I bought a batch that does not. I have not checked the version number or attempted to upgrade or downgrade in an attempt to fix it.

Jack

markosjal

As it stands ANY grandstream that (unofficially) supports pulse dialing is very sensitive to dial speeds. If ypou have a lot of rotary phones and do not want to re-calibrate all of your dials, There is only one way to go. Look for UTStarCom IAN-02ex . Even my sloppiest rotary dials work on it .

I buy these in Mexico brand new for about $25 USD each. Just be careful you are buying FACTORY unlocked units as I have seen some with Lingo Firmware that do not support the use of 2 ports simultaneously.

Mark
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: markosjal on August 02, 2017, 05:22:32 AM
As it stands ANY grandstream that (unofficially) supports pulse dialing is very sensitive to dial speeds. If you have a lot of rotary phones and do not want to re-calibrate all of your dials, There is only one way to go. Look for UTStarCom IAN-02ex . Even my sloppiest rotary dials work on it .

I buy these in Mexico brand new for about $25 USD each. Just be careful you are buying FACTORY unlocked units as I have seen some with Lingo Firmware that do not support the use of 2 ports simultaneously.

Mark
Motorola VT-1005s seem to work quite well for dial pulse.  FXS boards in some of the Cisco routers even work at 20 PPS.  I have not tested either of them to determine the actual limits.  It's on my To-Do list.

markosjal

Someone had vt1005s for sale recently. I think the issue is they need to be programmed from Windows software that was probably for Windows xp

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: markosjal on August 09, 2017, 12:45:13 PM
Someone had vt1095s for sale recently. I think the issue is they need to be programmed from Windows software that was probably for Windows xp
1095?

markosjal