News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE LPB 89-55

Started by MarkInAz, June 16, 2012, 04:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkInAz

Greetings all.  I'm new to the forum & just love all the good info I've already found here.  
So I got my first payphone and I'm having some "get acquainted" questions. I found the schematics but I cant identify some of the components.  Can someone give me a hand here.    
It's always something...

poplar1

The bottom arrow (#3)  is the coin signal transmitter: this allowed the operator (on calls placed through the operator such as long distance)  to hear the nickel hitting the bell once, a dime hitting the bell twice, or quarter hitting the gong once....neither of the other arrows is pointing to the coin relay.

The coin relay is in the lower housing of the phone and sits just on top of the coin vault; these are often missing (as in your phone) by the time you buy a pay phone. Depending on whether the call was completed or not, the relay would steer the coin(s) toward the money box or the coin return. This required special coin lines and central office equipment to make the coin relay activate.  
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

AE_Collector

item 1 might be the nickel switch but I am not certain. The 55 part of the model number indicated that it was set up to require 10 cents rather than 5 cents for a call. 55 means two nickels (or a dime). There is a special contact that is opearted by an initial deposit of 1 nickel which makes the phone need a second nickel to allow the call to proceed. If any other coin is deposited (dime or quarter) only one is needed as it satisfies the need for at least 10 cents.

Terry