News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE #4 dial differences question

Started by Witty, January 24, 2022, 11:38:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Witty

I have 2 #4  dials (converted from #2 dials) and have a question about why the W connections are different. Both W terminals connect to the bottom of the pile so the wiring would be the same for both. One is labeled 342R and I can't find anything about that marking. Both dials are stamped with the patent dates on the sides.

I'm curious if one would be an earlier version used on an earlier dated phone. I dug these up while going thru my stored boxes and want to match them up to the right phone.

Thanks for any information.

Ken

HarrySmith

342R would be the refurb date.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

MMikeJBenN27

I don't think it matters electrically, as the screws screw into the same member on both of them.  Probably the plant supervisor's preference.

Mike

HarrySmith

Also it is possible someone took it apart at some point in the past 80 years and put it back together that way. It will mount on either side.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

The one on the left was converted from a 2A in March 1942. Note the "twin contacts" (bifurcated), similar to those on most 5H dials.

The one on the right was also converted from a 2-type, but with the usual contact springs found on original WE 4H dials from 1930-1938 ( also on early 5H). The originals sometimes have a clear plastic shield over the BB and W contact springs in order to prevent dust (or bugs??) between these contact springs. By 1938, the "twin contacts" were standard. Bifurcated contacts probably helped prevent some "can't hear" troubles, since the BB and W springs should normally make contact except while the dial is  in use. The pre-7A dials open the receiver circuit; 7-, 8-, 9-, and WE 10-type dials
short the receiver instead.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.