News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Overstruck 2A dial

Started by Bill, November 16, 2022, 02:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

Some time ago I came across an old dial I didn't quite recognize. At first glance it appears to be a #2 dial. The fingerstop is marked "2AB" and the dial plate is notched. It has none of the printing around rim that I have come to expect. As shown in the photos, part of the back surface is kind of lumpy, as if made in a kindergarten art class. Unexpectedly, stamped on the back of the dial is an overstruck "2A", but with no correction or new stamp at the overstrike. Can someone bring me up to speed on what this is?

Bill

Well, I found most of the answer, anyway - right here on the Forum, of course.

On March 21, 2014, Poplar1 wrote:
QuoteIt's pretty easy to tell if it has always been a 2A dial because the terminals will be left to right Y-BK-BB-W---there is no R terminal except on the 2H dials.
This is the third way of marking the dials, according to the article. Actually, he leaves out the earliest 2A dials, which also don't have any writing around the rim. But those have 2A embossed in the metal next to the governor and no patent dates anywhere on the dial.

So that describes my dial. The remaining question is why the "2A" was overstruck but not remarked. BTW, when would this dial have been built?

Bill
---------------------------------
"Some time ago I came across an old dial I didn't quite recognize. At first glance it appears to be a #2 dial. The fingerstop is marked "2AB" and the dial plate is notched. It has no printing around rim. Unexpectedly, stamped on the back of the dial is an overstruck "2A", but with no correction or new stamp at the overstrike. Can someone bring me up to speed on this?"

rdelius

From the looks of the governer housing , This was an early #2 dial that has been rebuilt

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: rdelius on November 16, 2022, 09:03:55 PMFrom the looks of the governer housing , This was an early #2 dial that has been rebuilt
That's what I was going to say.  Only the earliest were like this.

Mike