News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interphone VL-290 (The Prisoner, TV, 1967)

Started by gpo706, October 20, 2015, 10:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gpo706

Anyone here ID these (de-corded) handsets from the Patrick McGoohan series "The Prisoner", look like more an angular version of an Ericophone.

Maybe an intercom handset?

Even The Prisoner Appreciation Society is clueless as to what they were!

Any pointers gratefully received!
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

19and41

Those look too detailed for a prop.  I would not limit the searches to just telephone handsets,  they may also be for radiotelephone or intercom use.  That small square midway between the receiver and microphone might be a push to talk button. 
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

It could be some sort of two way radio.  Keep in mind it was 1967.  I don't think they had cordless phones or cell phones back then.  I don't think very many of them were made.  I keep thinking it looks like something one might find in a Sharper Image catalog!

Tech&Music

They could be handsets, with the cables taken off to make it seem cordless. Did they use them as radios or actually as phones (as in, they ring someone up with one)?

Mr. Bones

Perhaps a UK version of early Motorola mobile phones? "The Bricke" :D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

19and41

I did a search on Ebay UK in a few different areas and a few keywords with nothing like this showing.  They used some pretty interesting props on the series.  One was an articulated lawn tractor.  A year or two later my dad got one like it.  I don't think there was another like it around.  He couldn't have cared less about the series, just that it did good work.  He literally wore that thing out.  I think it was a Gravely.

Wrong.  It was a Bolens.  Here is one without the front mower deck.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2944/15391746656_739bdf7327_z.jpg
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

I agree, it doesn't look fake enough to be a regular prop!

I thought I saw something like these somewhere recently, but I can't put my finger on it...
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

gpo706

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on October 21, 2015, 07:31:48 PM
I agree, it doesn't look fake enough to be a regular prop!

I thought I saw something like these somewhere recently, but I can't put my finger on it...

The big red curved one in the last pic is most definately a wooden prop, made at MGM Borehamwood, (you can notice the grain under the paint in close-up shots) -  the others look quite functional, in the series you lift the "cordless" handset and get an operator, and press the PTT pad in the middle with your thumb, of course this is all fantasy, I therefor assume its 3 or 4 intercom handsets (obviously de-nuded of cords) from some pretty stylish intercom system made in the mid-60s?

gpo706

This is the 1st episode, the first sighting of these strange handsets (and how the village phone system works) is at 4 minutes in!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-BE8iicBkg

BTW McGoohan''s home phone is a typical UK "706-type" black, to fool him into thinking he is still in his London home when he first arrives... (9 mins in), though there's no bells in this one!

Keats

As it happens, I have one of the sets in question...

It's a National Interphone. Model number appears to be VL-290. I picked mine up on eBay - it popped in a search at some point, and as a "Prisoner" fan, I recognised it immediately. It was about 25 kilometres from, cost $30.

Here are a couple of contemporary adverts for them:

Keats

And, a couple of shots of mine:

19and41

Thanks for resolving that question.  That program may always leave some unanswered, but it is fun trying to work them out.
— Arthur C. Clarke

gpo706

Quote from: Keats on July 09, 2016, 03:49:46 AM
As it happens, I have one of the sets in question...

It's a National Interphone. Model number appears to be VL-290. I picked mine up on eBay - it popped in a search at some point, and as a "Prisoner" fan, I recognised it immediately. It was about 25 kilometres from, cost $30.

Keats! You are officially now a hero to Prisoner fans, no-one this side of the water has been able to ID these - thanks! & BCNU!

rdelius

National (Japan)=Panasonic in some countries. US already had a National company that made radios so another name was used here