News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Interphone VL-290 (The Prisoner, TV, 1967)

Started by gpo706, October 20, 2015, 10:33:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keats

Mmm, the company was "National" here in Australia, with the "Panasonic" brand name being slowly rolled in through the latter half of the 70's / early 80's - "National", then "National Panasonic", and finally "Panasonic".

gpo706

Quote from: Keats on September 04, 2016, 06:54:21 PM
Mmm, the company was "National" here in Australia, with the "Panasonic" brand name being slowly rolled in through the latter half of the 70's / early 80's - "National", then "National Panasonic", and finally "Panasonic".

It's unreal its a "Pana" handset considering my PBX is a 616, thanks for the additional info.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

tallrick

It is good this mystery has been solved. Now what kind of box was used for the wireless speaker system which connected to the Village PA and Muzak system?

FABphones

Quote from: tallrick on June 22, 2020, 02:26:43 AM
It is good this mystery has been solved. Now what kind of box was used for the wireless speaker system which connected to the Village PA and Muzak system?

I did a quick search but can't find any images of it, could you add a few screenshots.

Meantime, found an image of number 6 making a call on a village phone (VL-290).
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

tallrick

You can see it at the beginning of The Chimes of Big Ben, Number 6 puts it in the refrigerator when the music bothers him.

19and41

I got to watch the final 2 episodes earlier this week.  The phones were more of a standout this time around.  It appeared that only the curved handsets were in use in the underground chamber where #6 gets his graduation started.  I  finally noticed also, in the second to last episode Once upon A Time, that the character played by Leo McKern, playing the part of a schoolmaster, calls #6 into his office adressing him as "Drake".  I didn't remember any reference to his identity mentioned before.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

FABphones

Quote from: tallrick on June 22, 2020, 02:26:43 AM...what kind of box was used for the wireless speaker system which connected to the Village PA and Muzak system?

Here are the ( somewhat belated  :-[   ) screenshots of the speaker. Cannot see any name/brand on the images.

HarrySmith

Looks like a plain old stereo music speaker.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Finally, after many years searching I have managed to source a pair of these Interphones. Hard to find. Only two have become available for sale in the last few years. These unused, still in packaging.

Time now to sit and watch the boxset, and arrange a visit to the village of Portmeirion.

https://portmeirion.wales

Be seeing you.
👁👌

paul-f

Congratulations on the successful culmination of a long-term search. What a great feeling!  Enjoy it.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: gpo706 on October 20, 2015, 10:33:10 PM...handsets from the Patrick McGoohan series "The Prisoner"...
I know who Patrick McGoohan is, but never heard of that show.  Was it shown only in England?

Mike

HarrySmith

It was also in the US. Probably before your time.  I was a kid when I watched it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on October 24, 2022, 02:19:25 PM...never heard of that show.  Was it shown only in England?

Season 1, Épisode 1. Arrival.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=osNmf_zmSyE
:)

TelePlay

Aired in 1967, one season with 17 episodes. Came to a scripted end, the last episode concluded the series plot.

It's on Amazon Prime, YouTube and other places I don't recognize.

It was a great series!