News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NOS Trimlines in Box

Started by Doug Rose, November 19, 2022, 10:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Janet went to an Estate Sale yesterday and picked up a White and Black Trimline in their original Boxes. One had a trimline handset cord, the other did not. NET Stickers on bottom, dated 77.

Where the handset cord was not in a box and the other missing, did they come separately?

Where there were so many, do trimlines have any value?...Doug

Kidphone

Kellogg Kitt

I read somewhere in this forum that black was a very uncommon color for Trimlines, and it seems to me that white in good condition is not easy to find in any phones, which might be just because white did not fare so well over the years, often turning yellow or brown.

I would think that these would have value to anyone interested in Trimlines, especially considering that they are in the original boxes.
Wade

Stormcrash

The white one also has the bonus of having it's original paper backed faceplate, the black one has an aluminum faceplate from a refurbishment. Black is not a very common color for the trimline though

Yes the cords were packed separate from everything I've read. If you ordered a trimline the installer grabbed the set of base handset and cord you wanted as 3 items

Doug Rose

Thanks folks for the education on the trimlines. They have found a new home ...Doug
Kidphone

Kellogg Kitt

Quote from: Stormcrash on November 19, 2022, 06:17:15 PMYes the cords were packed separate from everything I've read. If you ordered a trimline the installer grabbed the set of base handset and cord you wanted as 3 items

That makes a lot of sense, as most of the working parts were in the handset, which was usable with either a desk or wall base.  The cords were plug-in, even before the modular era, and often customers wanted a long cord for a wall phone.  It probably made the inventory management and installation easier.  Just grab and go!
Wade

markosjal

I understand the Black Trimlines and Black Princesses are the rarest.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

TransparentTrimline

What a sight! I've been ogling over a NOS Trimline on eBay simply for an "Unboxing" experience with a Trimline but these were lovely to look at :)
Look mom, this one has wires!

Doug Rose

Quote from: TransparentTrimline on January 25, 2023, 02:42:11 PMWhat a sight! I've been ogling over a NOS Trimline on eBay simply for an "Unboxing" experience with a Trimline but these were lovely to look at :)
Welcome to the Forum. I had a Collector friend who I knew would want them, I owned them less than a day......Doug
Kidphone

JorgeAmely

I miss my blue Trimline. Somehow, I returned it to the phone company in the 80s I guess.
Jorge

poplar1

The pictures clearly show the difference in the boxes for "new" (white box, black ink) and for "C stock" (green ink and "telephone co. property" label on the box).

C Stock refers to items already owned by the telephone company. When removed from a customer's premises, the phones were returned to the Western Electric Service Center. WE then either remanufactured them, parted them out, or junked them. The remanufactured ones were returned to the local Bell telephone company.

The bases do match the boxes: Notice that the new white base *looks* new. The remanufactured black base has gray paint blocking out the original date. The label says "R10-77" -- Remanufactured October, 1977.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

Quote from: markosjal on November 22, 2022, 04:43:13 AMI understand the Black Trimlines and Black Princesses are the rarest.

Right 'cause I'veve never seen one. And yet, black telephones are common, it seems to me.

poplar1

Both the Trimline and the Princess were originally offered in 5 colors -- not including black.

Although there was a premium (one-time charge + increased monthly rate) for the PRN and the TML, there was no charge for color. So most people chose a color other than black, even when black became available (1963 for PRN).(Color 500 or 554 had a one-time charge of $7.50 = $70 in today's dollars compared to 1965).
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

markosjal

I recently found some cheap NOS ITT Slimlines I think Brown and beige with square button touch tone pads.

I know they are not WE but If inerested someone can PM me
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Kellogg Kitt

Quote from: markosjal on February 08, 2023, 11:38:18 AMwith square button touch tone pad

That is unusual.  I have seen many, many ITT Trendlines over the years, and they all had round buttons.

Wade

oldguy

I don't remember seeing a lot of trimlines in your phone display🤔
Gary