News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pesky Equipment EOL tool- A must have for Every IT person.

Started by Hill Haven Telephone Company, March 26, 2023, 03:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hill Haven Telephone Company

Everyone has had a piece of equipment that needed to be replaced long ago but your work wont do it.  Well Heres a tool that every IT guy must have.

Made one up as a joke to hang up on the wall in my homelab. 

FABphones

Quote from: Hill Haven Telephone Company on March 26, 2023, 03:04:40 PMWell Heres a tool that every IT guy must have...

Made one up as a joke...

Sorry but I cannot see the humour in this. A very ill thought out gag.

One day there is every possibility (whether in your ownership or after) someone will plug that into a power outlet resulting in smoke/fire, injury or even death.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Quote from: FABphones on March 26, 2023, 05:31:40 PMSorry but I cannot see the humour in this. A very ill thought out gag.

One day there is every possibility (whether in your ownership or after) someone will plug that into a power outlet resulting in smoke/fire, injury or even death.

Its actually an Etherkiller http://www.fiftythree.org/etherkiller/

id cut the end off of it before i ever let it out of the house. 

FABphones

Quote from: Hill Haven Telephone Company on March 27, 2023, 11:11:53 AM...id cut the end off of it before i ever let it out of the house. 

If you remembered or had a chance to, and what if someone plugged it in before you had a chance to stop them.

Link says in a class called the killers and needs to be made. Really?

And why is this funny?

A ridiculous thing to have made. Destroying it now would be the sensible thing to do.

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

TelePlay

None of the items on that site are UL approved.

"UL Approval means that the product has been tested by UL (Underwriters Laboratory) to nationally recognized Safety Standards and has been found to be free from reasonably foreseeable risk of fire, electric shock and related hazards."

Creation of any of those items for any person for any reason reason opens up a huge liability risk at the civil level and criminal charges should there be destruction of property, injury or death.

While a "cute" idea in the minds of a few who apparently do not recognize their personal responsibility in society and create such sites, most would never entertain such behavior for all the right reasons.

Contact your attorney for legal advice concerning these malicious products before making and/or distributing them.

The CRPF does not approve of such items as stated in Paragraph 2 of the Registration Agreement: "Please remember that we actively monitor posted messages for compliance with this Agreement but the Forum is not responsible for the content contained within any posts. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The posted messages express the views of the author, and not necessarily the views of this forum, its staff, its subsidiaries, or this forum's owner."

LarryInMichigan

Many years ago, the company for whom I contract was selling scientific digital cameras which used a power supply cable with the same type of connector as what was used on PC printer cables.  One genius dealer rep destroyed a few PCs by plugging the power supply cable into the printer ports on their computers.

Years earlier, I worked in a place which had a sign hanging in their electronics lab which said "Danger 20,000 Ohms!".

Larry

It has been destroyed and wire tossed into the scrap bin.  But just so ya know its a known thing in IT, more as a joke but it is. 

Just like the following percussive maintenance tools that belongs in everyone's toolkit, right next to the hammer with an eraser taped to the business end.

the Hard Reset tool (claw hammer)
the Harder Reset tool(5# sledge)
the Factory Reset tool(20# sledge)
a hammer with "Norton removal tool" on the handle. 

Sorry for offending everyone have a great week :)

RDPipes

I didn't make this one nor do I know of its real existence but,
while I was a CET this got around and many thought it was quite funny and wish a few of our bosses would use one.
Of course it was all in fun and none of us wanted our bosses to die...........not for real anyway.
CJ, you got to see a little humor in it, I hope you don't see us as that crude and evil? But, of course we're men
and we do tend to have a different view of some things, LOL!

tubaman

Quote from: RDPipes on March 28, 2023, 06:05:31 AMI didn't make this one nor do I know of its real existence but,
while I was a CET this got around and many thought it was quite funny and wish a few of our bosses would use one.
Of course it was all in fun and none of us wanted our bosses to die...........not for real anyway.
CJ, you got to see a little humor in it, I hope you don't see us as that crude and evil? But, of course we're men
and we do tend to have a different view of some things, LOL!

I can see the humour in a picture of such a thing, but when someone actually makes one then that's different altogether.

RDPipes

Quote from: tubaman on March 28, 2023, 06:10:57 AMI can see the humour in a picture of such a thing, but when someone actually makes one then that's different altogether.

I realize we all hope that people know better (have more sense) then to really use such things and sadly sometimes they surprise us. Having the knowledge sometimes blinds us figuring everyone knows such facts as we see as simple and just common sense. Like hearing of the guy during the gas shortage years ago using a vacuum cleaner (wet vac I presume) to transfer gas from his boat to car. I don't know if that was true or not but, it sure caused some head shaking.