"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Type A to Type F US Navy Phones

Started by ntophones, January 06, 2010, 02:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

Ryan_M,
              Welcome to this forum and that's a great find for that price!!!  Here 's a link for some of the AE phones.   stub

http://tinyurl.com/43qngsz
Kenneth Stubblefield

G-Man

Quote from: Ryan_M on February 15, 2012, 11:01:09 AM
Hi there... This is my first post to a forum of any kind. I have only been collecting phones for about 2 months. I just purchased a Bakelite wall phone which I believe is an AE 50 for $20.00. The plunger is missing, and the threads of the handset are cracked. Phoneco is helping me with both of those issues. Can anyone tell me if this is a ship model? What have I got here? Also, Where can I find dates for it?
Hi Ryan-

Definitely NOT used on a ship! Instruments used on a ship had locking handset cradles. Steve Hilsz has probably removed thousands of them during his navy salvage career.

Doug Rose

G-Man.....I  disagree...this looks to me like it has a locking apparatus on both sides where the handset would rest in the cradle.

Ryan...Welcome to the Forum...can you post a side view of the cradle. Also open your phone up and we'll see what you need for a plunger assembly. I might have a plunger that will work. .....Doug
Kidphone

stub

I saw the AE- 50's, with the spring holders, on the USS DRUM ( Sub) in Mobile, Ala.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

twocvbloke

Quote from: stub on February 15, 2012, 06:11:15 PMon the USS DRUM ( Sub)

I bet that was a hit.... :D

(I know, I have an awful sense of humour!!)

Ryan_M

Here you go G-Man...

G-Man

Quote from: Doug Rose on February 15, 2012, 05:36:46 PM
G-Man.....I  disagree...this looks to me like it has a locking apparatus on both sides where the handset would rest in the cradle.

Ryan...Welcome to the Forum...can you post a side view of the cradle. Also open your phone up and we'll see what you need for a plunger assembly. I might have a plunger that will work. .....Doug

Thanks for pointing it out!

I am unable to see the locking mechanism but considering the condition of my eyesight I couldn't swear that it's not there.

So yes, if it is there then it was most likely used on a ship.

Ryan_M

No problem G-Man. I appreciate all the input guys.

liteamorn

Ryan, Welcome to the forum! You will find a world of help here. The AE50 is one of the coolest looking phones I have ever seen! I love the looks of them and the sound of them. These phones are not dated like WE phones.

Terry (AE collector)is collecting numbers for these phones and while the actual dates were not available he was able to derive a very nice history of my AE 50 based on the numbers on the base and the actual parts inside the phone (and what they were made from).

bushman

Here is a pic of my 40 that I am currently working on.  Seems to have the same style spring clips. I was at Chuck Irwin's shop talking to him about these. He said that they were used on an aircraft carrier he was on.

Bushman

Ryan_M

Wow! Thank you for that Doug... The hole is threaded. After closer inspection I believe it was probably on a ship. I've noticed some corrosion in places.  I took some pictures of the numbers on the back of the case for 'AE Collector' liteamorn. Like I said I am completely new to phone collecting and web forums... I would have no idea how to get the information to 'AE Collector'.

Does anyone know how to take the faceplate of the finger dial? Do I just pry it off? I don't want to break it, but I want to clean underneath the finger dial.

Ryan_M

That IS a beautiful phone Bushman! I could see that sitting on some high-ranking officer's desk! (I was enlisted for 10 years!)

stub

Ryan_M,
              This download will show how to remove dial card.  stub

http://tinyurl.com/6pvqj6b
Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Hi Ryan_M:

Stub has given you the instructions to remove the number card and finger wheel from the dial so you've got that under control.

Interesting numbers on the back of that AE50. I have a data base of all the info I can find on AE phones and I don't think that I have any of the 50's with the handset clips on my list so far so I may ask you for more info from the inside of the phone. I am still a long way from cracking all of the codes but "one day"!

A good deal for $20 for sure, especially since it has the chrome banded handset caps! You mentioned the threads of the caps are broken? Is that the caps or the handset handle portion?

As for the plunger assembly there are two pieces t oit so be sure to get both. The bullet shaped button and the "nut" that threads into the steel plate inside the phone to hold the plunger button in place.

As for the AE40 with the clips that Bushman posted, more often the AE40 with the heavy duty clamps on each side to hold the handset in place is the one that is seen. I can only recall seeing the 40 like Bushman's with the wire clips once before.

Terry

bakerbrett741

American Pickers showed an American electric type D rotary admirals phone. What a nice piece.