News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Question About "Finish" Removal

Started by 19and41, April 18, 2016, 01:39:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

I had found a 500 set that matched my birthday (9/56) and the hazy pics looked like someone had varnished it using the impasto technique.  Should it get a relist, is such a condition reversible in a manner that is not too severe in effort and risk?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

I would use Easy Off for that. If it's varnish, Easy Off should remove it with no problem, although the plastic finish may be duller when you're done, so you may need to put a little more effort into polishing.

Congrats on getting a birthday phone!!! ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on April 18, 2016, 01:39:11 PM
I had found a 500 set that matched my birthday (9/56) and the hazy pics looked like someone had varnished it using the impasto technique.  Should it get a relist, is such a condition reversible in a manner that is not too severe in effort and risk?

Did you get it (do you have it) and if so, can you post photos of the finish?

19and41

No, the sale ended and the seller hasn't relisted it.  At least not yet.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

The pic on the auction shows a bit more detail than trying to post the thumbnail.  The first image shows the stuff to it's best advantage.
— Arthur C. Clarke

andre_janew

I have this strange notion that someone wiped it with cooking oil to make it glisten!

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

It looks too splotchy to have been spray painted. And if so, not very heavy by not a very good paint.

Actually, the second photo shows the splotchy surface (in the yellow circle) better. The finger wheel in that photo looks better without the glare. First photo looks like two hot bulbs were used to illuminate the phone, one from high left and the other from high top, which seems to be causing the glare on the finger wheel.

Less than $50 for a birthday phone that need some TLC?  . . .     your call.

19and41

Well I inquired as to whether it had 4 feet or not and it does, so I got it.  Maybe I can set a candle on it this September.   :D
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Quote from: 19and41 on April 21, 2016, 04:28:57 PM
Well I inquired as to whether it had 4 feet or not and it does, so I got it.

Congrats, and don't forget to post the before pictures once you get it.

Quote from: 19and41 on April 21, 2016, 04:28:57 PMMaybe I can set a candle on it this September.   :D

Only 1?   ;)

19and41

I'll make it a plumbers' candle.   ;D
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

I have gotten much of the case as polished out as well as it can reasonably be taken.  The spots on it left small pits in the surface, but are not too distracting.  I polished out the age haze on the plastic molding under the dial and the base looks acceptable albeit with a torn footpad. The base housing appears to be dated 1954.  I found a handset with a much better appearance than the worn and spalled handset currently on it.  I got a new dial card assembly on sale from Old Pnone Works.  Iput it on line a few days ago, unseating my AE 40 and is seems to be a much more cheerful sounding phone.  It too only provides the basic numerical conversion with the Dialgizmo.  The rotary phones I have tried so far only have 1/3 the audio level heard at the distant end as the DECT 6.0 phones I must use for memory dial and the *and# functions.  These are used in conjunction with a OOMA Telo unit.
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

Let me see what I can come up with this weekend.  :)
— Arthur C. Clarke