News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 7D Bell-Buzzer

Started by Vacuumlad1650, February 08, 2018, 09:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vacuumlad1650

Another item I was given by my Grandfather...a former Illinois Bell employee.

I would like to wire this up as an extension doorbell buzzer (this one IS the proper one to do so)

And i wondered which 2 of the 3 wiring terminals should be used. I had written it down somewhere, but that location has evaded my mind...

Thanks!
Andy R...

Vacuumlad1650@gmail.com

My grandfather spent 40+ years at Illinois Bell. Thanks to him, I'm a nut for real telephones! Another breed of Phone Phreak... D. Lipp, 1938-2018

rdelius

if your power supply is AC wire without the interupter most likely terminals c and a   .If DC wire through the interupter terminals C and  D  most likely.

Vacuumlad1650

Quote from: rdelius on February 08, 2018, 09:53:50 PM
if your power supply is AC wire without the interupter most likely terminals c and a   .If DC wire through the interupter terminals C and  D  most likely.

Well, it appears our system utilizes AC power.
What would be the interupter you are mentioning? I do want to make sure this gets properly wired...
Andy R...

Vacuumlad1650@gmail.com

My grandfather spent 40+ years at Illinois Bell. Thanks to him, I'm a nut for real telephones! Another breed of Phone Phreak... D. Lipp, 1938-2018

poplar1

7D buzzer voltage range:

4-15 volts AC, 50-60 cycles....connect to terminals A and C

OR

4-15 volts DC....connect to terminals D and C

Ref: Bell System Practice  Section 501-120-100, Issue 8, March 1973

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Babybearjs

most doorbell transformers are AC output. ignore the part about the interuptor, that's not part of a doorbell system. just connect the wires to the A and C terminals and you should be good to go....
John

poplar1

Just saw the picture in the original post: this is a 7D bell, not a 7D buzzer, so the voltage range is a little different:

7D Bell:
6-18 Volts AC or  3-10 VDC

http://bellsystempractices.org/500-/501-/501-120-100-i08_1973-03-01.pdf
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.