News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

M.03

Started by countryman, October 01, 2022, 03:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

German Model (19)03. Newly arrived, a bargain purchase for restoration...
The dial is an amateurish add-on. Some original innards are missing.

tubaman

I love these, especially the height adjustable transmitter which is really nice.

countryman

Some more pics.
The instrument was made 1904 by Petsch, Zwietusch & Co.
Eduard Otto Zwietusch was an American citizen. In 1888 he was sent to Berlin by Western Electric to co-ordinate their German business. A F.R. Welles Co. had been founded in Berlin as a WE subsidiary. Zwietusch took over this business and used his own name from 1901 on. (The name Petsch on my instrument was used only temporarily, it was a smaller firm he had bought out.)
Zwietusch and Siemens were the main players on the very early German telephone market, both offering a full line of subscriber and office equipment.
A patent dispute in 1914 was settled by a mutual stake holding and patent licensing agreement between Siemens and WE. 1927 Siemens managed to buy out the Zwietusch company, the name was used randomly for components and products into the 1960ies.

The receiver and cord of my M.03 look original. The adjustable transmitter arm, ringer and hookswitch assembly are likewise original and in good condition. The magneto is missing, the crank visible in the offer unfortunately only had a dummy mount.
I cleaned out the messy glued-in modern parts and fitted a magneto. It is not 100% correct for the M.03, which had a special magneto with the crank shaft offset to the side. I made an adapter plate to fit in a contemporary magneto, using the original mounting holes. No modification to the housing was done.
One ringer coil is missing its gray cloth cover, someone obviously had tried to repair it before. A wire was broken off, the inner one, as always. I managed to expose the broken end and soldered the brown wire to it, visible in the pic. The ringer works now.
The terminals are mounted outboard on this model, next to the hookswitch, and are missing. Some more work will have to be done to restore this phone into presentable condition. But for only 45 € (44.80 $ US) I'm not going to complain  :)

The wording AUSGES is stamped on receiver and the phone housing (Ausgesondert = decomissionned) and the imperial crown was crossed out, so apparently it is no longer property of the Post and I can legally own it  ;)
The stamp K - W.i.S. stands for the manufacturer of the wooden parts, Koppermann Präzisionstischlerei, Wilkau in Sachsen (thanks to Claus from the German Wasser.de forum!)

RDPipes

Great find sir, glad you chucked the dial for the original parts.
Looks wonderful all cleaned up and proper now.

countryman

I now made new terminals for the phone. They were missing. Far from perfect but...
The wiring was attached with small staples where the small holes are in the wood (second picture). I'll have to see what I can do replace the wires. Originally relatively thick solid wire was used, with a black isolation, maybe gutta-percha?

countryman

I now gave the phone a new wiring. I do not say I restored the wiring  8) because I wired the phone to receive calls on a CB line with it.
For a while I considered reproducing the original wooden induction coil, or something that would resemble its outer appearance. But I resorted to a coil from a W48 Bakelite phone instead. The missing wires were replaced with 0.5 mm copper wire, threaded into 2 mm waxed shoe laces. That was what comes closest to the look and feeling of the original material (the wire next to the large magneto gear is an original one). The missing transmitter capsule was replaced with a later transistorized transmitter, which fits the housing well.
The magneto also is not the original one, as described earlier. It happens to have a double pole switch fitted, this way I could wire it to securely prevent sending voltage down the line, while ringing the own bell.
The last pic shows the original diagram, and my version below.

Now looking for a place to hang the phone  :D

HarrySmith

Nice work. Looks good & it works! I would have replaced the one original wire just so it is all the same. The shoelace trick looks great ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Your woodie finds are tempting me to add a few to the collection.  :o

Nicely done and the shoelace idea is a great tip. Thanks for sharing.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble