News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GTE AE, how to adjust dial (apart from the adjustment screw)?

Started by Contempra, December 08, 2022, 09:25:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Contempra

I bought yesterday a GTE AE phone ( even if I hate AEs , I'm taking some in my collection :) ) but the dial is really too slow , I cleaned the main part but , what are the oiling points , and adjustment of the ' GOVERNOR ? Thanks in advance guys . May GOD bless you

RDPipes

Quote from: Contempra on December 08, 2022, 09:25:18 AMI bought yesterday a GTE AE phone ( even if I hate AEs , I'm taking some in my collection :) ) but the dial is really too slow , I cleaned the main part but , what are the oiling points , and adjustment of the ' GOVERNOR ? Thanks in advance guys . May GOD bless you
This PDF below should explain just about everything for you.

Contempra

Thank you RDPipes . ( I don't know your name  ).

RDPipes

Contempra

Please, I need the circuit diagram because I had to do a solder on a capacitor, unfortunately, I disconnected wires ( spade ) while working on it :(. one of the two wires comes from from the line connector (it's a plug-and-play phone), and the other wire comes from the ringer. But I'll have to manage to make it work. Here's the model I have. There's no no other indication under the phone. So it's a GTE AE .

[i mg]h ttps://i91.servimg.com/u/f91/16/33/39/84/teleph10.jpg[/i mg]

FABphones

Quote from: Contempra on December 09, 2022, 10:33:40 AM...Here's the model I have. There's no no other indication under the phone. So it's a GTE AE.

(GTE) AE 80E

Maybe this will help:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3716

Or this may help. From TCI:
https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/browse/wiring-diagrams/automatic-electric/1858-ae-80-ae80a-tl/file
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Contempra

Hi guys , My phone works, but it doesn't ring. living in Canada, I don't know where the ringer's green wire and red wire go!! :(

poplar1

Quote from: Contempra on December 10, 2022, 08:39:42 PMHi guys , My phone works, but it doesn't ring. living in Canada, I don't know where the ringer's green wire and red wire go!! :(

In reply #9 in the post cited, it shows red ringer wire connected to terminal 10 (with the red line cord wire) and  green ringer wire to 16.

Capacitor is connected to 16 and 8. (8 has the green line cord wire.)
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

Quote from: poplar1 on December 10, 2022, 11:33:50 PMIn reply #9 in the post cited, it shows red ringer wire connected to terminal 10 (with the red line cord wire) and  green ringer wire to 16 . Capacitor is connected to 16 and 8. (8 has the green line cord wire.)

Thank you Poplar, indeed, I have a capacitor to connect to terminals 16 and 8, should I leave it connected to these two terminals, or should I remove it?

Also I have a large capacitor which has been unsoldered on one side, however on the other side I will have to repair the lead line which is detached from the circuit (The Capacitor is a TRW-68849A-33+ -10%- 400VDC-W7918 and is unsoldered!).