News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Found Two Leich Type 62's

Started by RDPipes, April 07, 2023, 02:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

Browsing on eBay and spending more then I should as always I came across a Leich 62 with chrome cradle that spurred my interest for $17.99 plus shipping and I couldn't pass it up. Later one from the same seller I purchased another 62 for $11.99 plus shipping. So I figured this would be good opportunity to restore one for myself (the chrome cradled one of course) and the other for resale. Neither had dials or ringers but they did have the #18 coil so I could put dials in them and they would still be correct and I do have a AE ringer box of the right age to use if I wish. Having quite a few AE dials on hand already set me up for this project. Here's the one I did for myself with all original cordage and naturally I didn't think about taking before photos again but, the 1st one is from the auction. 
Oops! Looking again at the photos reminds me I forgot to change out the worn number plate on that dial, allways something, LOL!

FABphones

Beautiful transformation as ever Ron. Very attractive design.

How many phones in your collection now?

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

Quote from: FABphones on April 07, 2023, 02:29:11 PMBeautiful transformation as ever Ron. Very attractive design.

How many phones in your collection now?

Thank you CJ!  A little less then there was because I sold off a lot of them, all the colored 302's except a matched pair of ivory WE 302 and a 354. One of my AE34's an AE2, AE40, AE21, Ashtray phone, etc, etc. Just counted 19 left, I've replaced some with a few WE 4XX's but, still have sold off more then I have replaced.

HarrySmith

Another nice restoration. Did you replace the suede on the bottom? Looks to be in great shape.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

RDPipes

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 07, 2023, 03:17:49 PMAnother nice restoration. Did you replace the suede on the bottom? Looks to be in great shape.

Thank you Harry! No it was in great condition and so is the other I got from him.
I thought it surprising also but, I may change the other anyway because of a slight discoloration.

Doug Rose

Ron...that looks great! They are a pain to work on as there is zero room inside. Nice to see the Bakelite was not broken in the back from the nickel cradle. That is how I got a few nickel cradles, from damaged sets.

I like the extenders for the ringer on these, I am still looking for the correct long screws for this to attach the base....Doug
Kidphone

RDPipes

Ye
Quote from: Doug Rose on April 07, 2023, 04:00:14 PMRon...that looks great! They are a pain to work on as there is zero room inside. Nice to see the Bakelite was not broken in the back from the nickel cradle. That is how I got a few nickel cradles, from damaged sets.

I like the extenders for the ringer on these, I am still looking for the correct long screws for this to attach the base....Doug
Oh yeah I know, I pulled everything out of this one and revamped the coil and sprayed it with electrical varnish.
I had to add wiring also for the dial and I removed the cradle having to take apart the hook-switch and that was fun.
Yeah, I'm going to keep my eye out for one with the extended base to steal or restore.
Aren't those the type 90?

kleenax

I actually have the correct Leich (bakelite) ringer box for this phone. Don't see them often. Will be at my workshop this weekend and try and get some pics.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Doug Rose

Quote from: RDPipes on April 07, 2023, 04:29:11 PMAren't those the type 90?
yessir.....Leich 90, one of my favorite phones....Doug
Kidphone

RDPipes

Quote from: kleenax on April 07, 2023, 04:51:24 PMI actually have the correct Leich (bakelite) ringer box for this phone. Don't see them often. Will be at my workshop this weekend and try and get some pics.

That be great to see Ray, thanks!